Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using WIN 7 Home Premium and trying to use system restore to perhaps fix a problem with a sound (lack of) on one of my apps.(Sirius) . I have tried uninstalling the Sirius app and reinstalling...no luck... then tried system restore. Buts restore goes thru the motions and upon reboot says it could not restore to an earlier time or date. I tried restore from safe mode and from safe mode with command prompt using the RSTRUI.EXE command. Still get the same error. I don't want to clear the system restore points by turning it off then turning it on as i think tjhe solution to the sound problem is restoring to an earlier time . How can I fix System Restore?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Harlan View Post
    I am using WIN 7 Home Premium and trying to use system restore to perhaps fix a problem with a sound (lack of) on one of my apps.(Sirius) . I have tried uninstalling the Sirius app and reinstalling...no luck... then tried system restore. Buts restore goes thru the motions and upon reboot says it could not restore to an earlier time or date. I tried restore from safe mode and from safe mode with command prompt using the RSTRUI.EXE command. Still get the same error. I don't want to clear the system restore points by turning it off then turning it on as i think tjhe solution to the sound problem is restoring to an earlier time . How can I fix System Restore?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!

HH Hi and welcome

It may just be easier to fix the sound problem. If restore is not completing it may be because a dependant service is either disabled or cant run. Are you getting a specific error code when restore dies?

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Lounger
    Thanks
    No code just a generic statement that it could not be restored to an earlier date

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I usually get Restore could not do whatever cause an antivirii running message, excuse me can't even remember correct thing but it basically said because I'm running Norton 2010 it can't do it.

Maybe not your answer you needed but I used system restore many times with xp and it done me right, with 7 I have dumped it in favor of Acronis True Image.
    I create a acronis image I like with all my applications setup and I'm sure I have no viruses at the time, of course might need to copy your favorites and several other things separately. just my method

Lounger
    Thanks
    Nope, not running Norton, but thanks.

-H-

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Nope, not running Norton, but thanks.
    Almost any anti-virus software can interfere with a System Restore. If you have a problem re-boot into safe mode and make sure your A/V is not running then retry the restore.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Do resident antivirus programs run in safe mode? I have already tried booting in to safemode, but thought that nothing resident starts up.

Thanks
    Greetings from a NON-geek,

I have been attempting to load the Win 7 64bit setup and run functions for an HP 4580 ALL-IN-ONE printer, after doing several restore points my system kept getting slower and sslloowweerr until it was taking up to 25-30 min just to start a program or shut down my system. Found from a friend that Avast 5, antivirus program had a problem with the Restore Points. Removed that and now using Microsoft Security Essentials and Microsoft's FireWall and finally finding a restore point that would give me my system back. It took a little time and effort with removing some leftover entries in the Registry files and some old folders for that software as well as HPs entries to get my system running. Still need to get their, HP's, complete package entered into my system so I may use my printer to it's max abilities. All of that has taken about a MONTH worth of work. Have not reinstalled my Win7 64bit Home Premium software, thought I was going to need to do that though. I have had a little HELP with removing some of the unwanted software, Revo Uninstaller by VS Revo Group. If that would HELP you any then try it, what I have is the FREE version, there is a Pro version that is supposed to work with Win 7 64bit, it costs though. This is NOT an advertisement for that software just want to share my experiences with a similar problem as HH has.

One problem I am having is doing a backup and placed it on a H/D hooked to a USB port and all went well with the backup, but; now that H/D will not go away and show any other that I connect through the same point, like if I connect an 8.4 gig drive then do a backup, if changing to a 20 gig drive will not show in the backup window it remains the 8.4gig. Any ideas as to how to remove the first entry in that backup area and change it to some other drive?

Thank you for reading my rambling mess, do not mean to HiJack anothers post.

HH,
    To share with you on that question about A/V running in 'Safe Mode', in my system NO, if you go into 'Save Mode' and then Services under Administrator tools you may see what is allowed to run.
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v49.x, all with the latest updates

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do resident antivirus programs run in safe mode? I have already tried booting in to safemode, but thought that nothing resident starts up.
    Check task manager after you boot into safe mode and kill the process if the AV is still running. Hopefully it will stay off. My Norton 2010 has a switch called "Product Tamper Protection." I think most AV programs have something like that, but I know in the past a lot of people couldn't do a restore until they disabled that on whatever AV they had.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty K View Post
    My Norton 2010 has a switch called "Product Tamper Protection." I think most AV programs have something like that, but I know in the past a lot of people couldn't do a restore until they disabled that on whatever AV they had.
    thanks
    will try that myself but right now don't need to do one