New Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

I have a computer that was upgraded from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. For some reason, the machine will only boot into safe mode with the "right" password. Changing the password does not change this behavior. Restoring the system does not fix it either. No virus, malware, or spyware seems to be present. Other that a new install, does someone have a way to fix this?

Thanks
    I am afraid to say, but this might be one of those very strange problems that crop up with in place upgrades instead of Clean install. You may very well be looking at a reinstall. The time it takes to troubleshoot and repair the problem may take much longer than the time invested to clean install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. I have also reached that conclusion. I haven't used an upgrade OS since Windows 95. I did some step-by-step booting, and couldn't get close enough to the problem without destabilizing the entire system. Total time spent in troubleshooting the problem, about 3 hours. When I can afford it, I'm going to buy Win 7 Ultimate. Thanks again!

Thanks
    You can use the upgrade Win 7 ultimate DVD you have to do a clean install. Just pop the DVD in, reboot your PC (the Bios must be set to boot from optical drive first) and choose custome install. The OS will install from the upgrade version. You do not need a full install version.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried a Startup Repair?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying to my post. I have tried "startup repair" and it did not work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanTopper View Post
    When I can afford it, I'm going to buy Win 7 Ultimate.
    What do you mean by this? In your original post you said the machine was upgraded from Vista Ultimate to Win7 Ultimate. If you have a legal DVD there is no reason to purchase Win7 Ultimate. You can do a clean install using the upgrade media. See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media for more information.

BTW, in your original post you never said what happens when you try a regular boot. Does it just hang? Is there a BSOD? Some other problem?

Joe
    Joe