New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Word 2003, I was able to edit any numbered list by going through Format | Bullets and Numbering. This would pull up a dialogue that would allow me to customize the borders, indents, etc., of the numbered list.

In Word 2007, however, when I go to a numbered style, which in this case is called “Bulleted,” and then to the Styles dialogue to select "Modify," and then to Format | Numbering, I come to a box that looks quite different, adn gives me nothing more than an option to choose Numbering or Bullets. There is no opportunity to customize teh options. Furthermore, my bulleted entry shows up as having neither bullets nor numberign selected, which is inaccurate because bullets are in fact activited. Why is this and hwo can I customize the bullets to indent .25" rather than .5"? I already tried changing the setting through the modifying the Style's Paragraph indent settings, but after closing and reopening the document, it defaulted back to .5" because this change neesd to be made through the bullets adn numbering dialogue, I believe. I even added the change in Paragraph to the templte, but it still did not work.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The interface for bullets and numbering changed in some confusing ways in Word 2007, and in the case of bullets and simple numbering, the dialogs were dumbed down by the removal of settings for indents and tab space after.

That said, in my experience with these in Word 2007, I can set the indents the way I need them in the paragraph format and tabs definition for the relevant style, and these settings do then stick.

One thing to watch out for is that you need to change the related tab setting, as well as the paragraph indent setting, for things to work right. So for instance, if the bullet indent was originally set up to .5 and you change it to .25, you also have to go to the tabs setting for that style, and add a tab at .25 and clear the tab at .5.

If the above doesn't help, can you post a sample document that displays the problem, so we can take a closer look?

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary, this is all helpful, but it does not explain why in my document, when I go to the bulleted style and then try to edit it in Bullets adn Numbering style dialogue, it shows no bulleted style for me to edit. It shows up as unbulleted and unnumbered!

I will try your suggestion about changign not only the paragraph settings, but also the tab settings. Do I do that through the Style's tab dialogue or through a tab option in the Style's bulleting and numbering dialogue?

Regards,

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    John,

The same thing happens if you're in a style that has simple numbering associated with it, and you try to modify Numbering via Modify Style - it shows as not numbered. I think that is a pretty dumb change to the user interface (but it was apparently intentional). (If you want to read more about the rationale behind some of the changes to the numbering interface, check out this MS Word team blog entry (credit Pam Caswell for suggesting this reading).

I have to say I've read that blog post and the related comments, two or three times now, and I still don't understand the rationale given. Particularly revealing is the blogger's response to a comment by Dieter, posted on 2/1/2010 at 2:07 pm - this reads to me like an admission that there are aspects to Word's numbering that have been broken for years, and they simply can't figure out a way to fix it now without breaking backwards compatibility for all Word documents previously created.

In any case, you can change the paragraph and tab settings directly from Modify Style > Format. You can even make the needed change to the indent via the Paragraph dialog, and then click the Tab button from within that dialog, to effect the needed changes to the tab settings.

But it's also worth noting that in a recent post in a related thread, Pam Caswell pointed out that you can also edit the indent and tab settings for bullets and numbered lists by right-clicking in a relevant paragraph, and selecting "Adjust List Indents". That's apparently the way Word's designers now intend these settings to be changed, and the method may be preferable to the method I've described above, in that this way you are directly addressing the settings for the list formatting itself. A key thing to watch out for if you do use it though, is don't use it in conjunction with making changes to the paragraph indent and tab settings as I'd described above - it looks like you need to use one or the other, because trying to use both can lead to conflicts.

Gary