New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am wanting to update Office 97 Pro to 2003 Pro. The programs I am finding have "[OLD VERSION]" tacked on to the the title and I cannot find a any description of what that might mean. Sure would like some help determining if this might be important.

Thanks for any help, rkyaz

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rkyaz View Post
    I am wanting to update Office 97 Pro to 2003 Pro. The programs I am finding have "[OLD VERSION]" tacked on to the the title and I cannot find a any description of what that might mean.
    Some online stores such as Amazon.com add that notation to the titles of older software products to inform you that they have been superseded, in this case by Office 2007. (And any version of Office you buy on CD will need to be updated using Microsoft Update because service packs and security patches have been released for all of them.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks jscher2000. That was my guess, but just coundn't find a direct reference. Additionally, while Office 97 Professional seems adequate for my purposes, Microsoft has ended updating Office 97 for compatibility and security as far as I can tell. I'm guessing that continued use could be security risk. But I am also considering moving from XP to 7. It is difficult to know how that might work ffrom a compatibility standpoint. Well, if anyone would like comment or offer some insight into compatibilty and/or security I certainly would be appreciative. My current belief is that Office 97 will upgrade only to 2003 and that is the route forward unless that just isn't the wise path. Thanks for any insight.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rkyaz View Post
    My current belief is that Office 97 will upgrade only to 2003...
    Do you mean that the Office 2003 upgrade version considers Office 97 to be a "qualifying" product, but the Office 2007 upgrade version does not? That seems a bit stingy on Microsoft's part...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Do you mean that the Office 2003 upgrade version considers Office 97 to be a "qualifying" product, but the Office 2007 upgrade version does not? That seems a bit stingy on Microsoft's part...
    The furthest back you can go to qualify for an Office 2007 upgrade is Office 2000 according to 2007 Microsoft Office system pricing - Products - Microsoft Office Online.

Joe
    Joe