Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A client sent me a Protected Word document today, that needed some changes. But it was Password protected, and because of staff changes at their end, they did not know the password.

I got a copy of Perfect Data Solutions - Word Password Recovery but the password it gives me does not work.

I have emailed Perfect Data Solutions, but despite their promise of 24/7 Tech Support and Money Back Guarantee, so far I have had no reply.

Has anyone had any experience with this company, or know of other password recovery software that works. I have found some references to Elcomsoft in previous posts.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What sort of protection is on the file?

If the protection allows you to open and view the file without the password then try saving the document as RTF. This resets the password to blank.

If you can't open the file without the password then this method won't work.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks Andrew

The document is a Protected Form. I can open it OK, but only in "fill in the form" mode. It is the protected stuff I need to change.

I tried saving as RTF but that did not remove the password.

[attachment=88313assword2.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Perfect Data solutions have responded overnight by email, and asked me to send them the document, so maybe they will be able to provide the password.
    Regards
    John

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hutchison View Post
    The document is a Protected Form. I can open it OK, but only in "fill in the form" mode. It is the protected stuff I need to change.

I tried saving as RTF but that did not remove the password.
    Remember to close the DOC/RTF file and open the RTF file to make this approach work. Unless Microsoft has closed this door in the latest versions of Word.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, I have closed it, then tried to reopen the RTF without success.

When I Save as RTF I also get a warning that I will lose Macros in the document. Because I don't know what macros are there, I am worried that I may lose something important taking this route.

The file is in doc format.
    Regards
    John

Thanks
    In Word 2003, I found that if I save a document as RTF, there is a password field present when I view the RTF file in a text editor. If I delete the value that follows the word password, save the file, and then open it in Word, now the password really is gone. So as currently patched up, Word 2003 now preserves the password when saving in RTF format.

When I Save as RTF I also get a warning that I will lose Macros in the document. Because I don't know what macros are there, I am worried that I may lose something important taking this route.
    Yes, that does raise a messy problem: there may be some automation on the form controls that will go missing if you use the RTF approach.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So the RTF document you saved could not be opened at all? This is a problem. The macros warning is no big deal if you can view the modules to check if there are actually macros there. Assuming you can see the macros (which could be protected by a different password) then it won't be a big deal to reinstate them.

Perhaps you could post a copy of the doc here so we can have a look.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    So the RTF document you saved could not be opened at all? This is a problem.
    No I can open the RTF, but it still requires a password to remove protection, and do any editing other than fill in the form fields.

The protection seems to prevent me using the Macros command on the ribbon, but Alt F11 opens the VBA Editor. But there does not seem to be much there. Maybe there really is nothing much there, or perhaps it just won't show me. I don't know.

I attach a copy. [attachment=88316:13thConferenceAbstractGuidelines& Template.zip]
    Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards
    John

Thanks
    The protection seems to prevent me using the Macros command on the ribbon, but Alt F11 opens the VBA Editor. But there does not seem to be much there. Maybe there really is nothing much there, or perhaps it just won't show me.
    I found a blank form. Perhaps someone intended to add some code there but didn't get around to it.

The attached file was doctored using the method described above.

[attachment=88317:13thConferenceAbstractGuidelines& amp;Template_postRTF.zip]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Wonderful. I had not got around to trying that yet, but when I did I got this:
    "Word was unable to open the file. It may be corrupt."

But yours opened OK.

But now I find that the immediate bit of text I need to change is embedded in a graphic. But I will get there now.

Thanks to both of you.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Overnight Perfect Data solutions have sent me the password, and I can now unprotect the original that way as well. This confirms that there is no macro, just an attempt to create a userform.
    Regards
    John