3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have never used Mail Merge before. I am having just one problem.
    One of my merged fields is a number that I want to display as currency. I went online and hunted up how to do it.
    I right-clicked on the field, selected "edit field", clicked on "field codes" and added the "switch" to the field code so that the field codes field contained this:
    MERGEFIELD "Dues1 [\\# $##.00]"
    The data in the field now displays as currency, but a "]" displays at the end of it!
    $24.62] - like that.
    How do I get rid of that trailing bracket?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I fixed it!
    It turns out that adding a space before the closing bracket makes it disappear in the printed version. Stumbled on that totally by accident and don't understand it at all, but it did the trick.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi orgaizer,

There are at least 3 problems with your mergefield's coding! There should be:
    1. no square brackets
    2. only one backslash
    3. no double quotes

To control number & currency formatting in Word, add a numeric picture switch to the mergefield. To do this:
    . select the field;
    . press Shift-F9 to reveal the field coding. It should look something like {MERGEFIELD Dues1};
    . edit the field so that you get {MERGEFIELD Dues1 \# $,0.00} (or whatever other numeric format you prefer - see below);
    . position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
    . run your mailmerge.

Note: The '\# $,0.00' in the field is referred to as a numeric picture switch. Other possibilities include:
    . \# 0 for rounded whole numbers
    . \# ,0 for rounded whole numbers with a thousands separator
    . \# ,0.00 for numbers accurate to two decimal places, with a thousands separator
    . \# $,0 for rounded whole dollars with a thousands separator
    . \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);'-'" for currency, with brackets around negative numbers and a hyphen for 0 values

The precision of the displayed value is controlled by the '0.00'. You can use anything from '0' to '0.000000000000000'.

If you use a final ';' in the formatting switch with nothing following, (eg \# "$,0.00;($,0.00);") zero values will be suppressed. Note that this suppresses 0s resulting from empty fields and from fields containing 0s.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]