Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    I have a D Link DIR 615 rev.B with the latest firmware update. I am running Win 7 on an Acer Aspire 5536G and using Comodo Internet Security. I just used Steve Gibson's Shields Up and found that ports 22 & 23 are open. I have used full stealth mode with my software firewall, but the ports are still shown as open. What I need to know is this:
    How do I stealth these ports through my router interface? I have looked on the D-Link and other forums and Googled for an answer, but with no joy so far.

My software isn't doing it; does the router need them open? I don't anticipate needing SSH or Telnet anytime soon, and I've looked in Windows Services to make sure nothing is running there that needs them open. The best answer seems to be port forwarding - but where do I forward them to? Any ideas, anyone? TIA.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Make sure remote admin is turned off on your router. The ports are SSH and telnet, usually used to administer your router from the internet.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Make sure remote admin is turned off on your router. The ports are SSH and telnet, usually used to administer your router from the internet.

cheers, Paul
    Yep, remote admin is turned off, it was one of the first things I checked, plus UPnP is turned off. I understand what the ports are usually for and don't anticipate using either SSH or Telnet, although I have in the past...not on this PC, though. I'm just concerned that the open ports might be used for nefarious purposes by" invaders".

My PC has come up clean with Malwarebytes, Spybot, Comodo Antivirus and Windows Defender. As far as I can make out, I have no services running that might use these ports. I have installed Eudora and use it with IMAP, and wondered if maybe it was opening them for some reason? Puzzled...and I still can't find how to close the darned ports on my router.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It's a router thing, not your PC. Might have to live with it.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You have got the router set to provide network address translation?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys! It appears that the ports are open on my wireless ISP's server, not on my router, so I'll stop worrying about it. I guess they need them open for some reason. Your help is appreciated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just added a D-Link DIR-615 router & find that ports 0 & 1 are closed, not stealth per GRC (Previously, they were showing a stealth on a TrendMicro router that died). I used the basic setup - any help on how to stealth these 2 ports would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Banton View Post
    Hello,
    I have a D Link DIR 615 rev.B with the latest firmware update. I am running Win 7 on an Acer Aspire 5536G and using Comodo Internet Security. I just used Steve Gibson's Shields Up and found that ports 22 & 23 are open. I have used full stealth mode with my software firewall, but the ports are still shown as open. What I need to know is this:
    How do I stealth these ports through my router interface? I have looked on the D-Link and other forums and Googled for an answer, but with no joy so far.

My software isn't doing it; does the router need them open? I don't anticipate needing SSH or Telnet anytime soon, and I've looked in Windows Services to make sure nothing is running there that needs them open. The best answer seems to be port forwarding - but where do I forward them to? Any ideas, anyone? TIA.
    Hi Mel, Read this link. http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...o-firewall.htm
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    How does a software firewall running in a computer in the local network, stealth or close a port in a router?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Leuzinger View Post
    I just added a D-Link DIR-615 router & find that ports 0 & 1 are closed, not stealth per GRC (Previously, they were showing a stealth on a TrendMicro router that died). I used the basic setup - any help on how to stealth these 2 ports would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Its' very weird that it happens, but seems to be an issue with D-Link routers: See this discussion in the D-Link support forums. You can check whether you have the latest firmware and update if you don't. It's also possible that even the latest firmware won't change the situation, so it's your call on whether you will just live with it.
    If you go through with a firmware update, beware that there is always a risk in doing that. Most of the time, firmware updates complete without issues, but sometimes the end result is a "brick" and you have to return the router to have it serviced.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Ribeiro View Post
    How does a software firewall running in a computer in the local network, stealth or close a port in a router?
    Hi Rui, My Firewall is Outpost Firewall Pro on my desktop and Outpost Security Suite Free on my laptop.

[attachment=91071:1.JPG]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi RR,

That will stealth your computer, but only has an effect if you are not behind a router. If you had a router, it wouldn't be affected in any way by the software firewalls running in your computers.
    A router usually stealths its ports, unless something in the configuration (port forwarding usually, but there can be other things) prevents it. To a port scan from grc.com, it's the router that replies, in the scenario described by Mel Banton and Dave Leuzinger, unless there is port forwarding. Any pc in the local network won't even know there is a port scan going on.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Hi RR,

That will stealth your computer, but only has an effect if you are not behind a router. If you had a router, it wouldn't be affected in any way by the software firewalls running in your computers.
    A router usually stealths its ports, unless something in the configuration (port forwarding usually, but there can be other things) prevents it. To a port scan from grc.com, it's the router that replies, in the scenario described by Mel Banton and Dave Leuzinger, unless there is port forwarding. Any pc in the local network won't even know there is a port scan going on.
    Hi Rui, This is the router I have,http://www.netgear.co.uk/dgn2000.php
    I have ran the tests at GRC with & without my firewall being active and get the same perfect score for both tests.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi Rui, This is the router I have,http://www.netgear.co.uk/dgn2000.php
    I have ran the tests at GRC with & without my firewall being active and get the same perfect score for both tests.
    Hi RR,

I would suppose that is because your router's firewall is effective in stealthing all the ports. Most router firewalls are good at that.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Hi RR,
    I would suppose that is because your router's firewall is effective in stealthing all the ports. Most router firewalls are good at that.
    Hi Rui, unfortunately I can't test that, as router firewall is not switchable on/off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast