Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just noticed a few files in My Documents dated a couple of days ago, TYPE: Registry Entries, NAME: CC_20100210_173147, and others with similar names. If I double click on any of them the REGISTRY EDITOR box pops up asking "Are you sure you want to add the information [file name above] to the Registry? [YES] [NO]"

I have no clue how they got into My Documents, I've never tweaked the Registry, and am completely at sea about this (ie. ignorant about Registry matters). Purely by chance I did virus and malware scans today, so I doubt they are anything malicious. But....

Do I add them to the registry? Do I delete them? What exactly are they? I'd appreciate any adivice.

Additional note: I recieved and installed some patches from Microsoft two days ago. Could Microsoft be the source of these files?

XP-SP3 system.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There's no way to know how those files reached your Documents folder...but if the computer is working normally, do not...and I repeat...do not add or remove anything to or from the registry unless you are sure about what the result will be. Changing the registry can result in windows just not working anymore...If all else is well, I would just delete those document files that you listed. Good luck..

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthebear View Post
    Just noticed a few files in My Documents dated a couple of days ago, TYPE: Registry Entries, NAME: CC_20100210_173147, and others with similar names. If I double click on any of them the REGISTRY EDITOR box pops up asking "Are you sure you want to add the information [file name above] to the Registry? [YES] [NO]"

I have no clue how they got into My Documents, I've never tweaked the Registry, and am completely at sea about this (ie. ignorant about Registry matters). Purely by chance I did virus and malware scans today, so I doubt they are anything malicious. But....

Do I add them to the registry? Do I delete them? What exactly are they? I'd appreciate any adivice.

Additional note: I recieved and installed some patches from Microsoft two days ago. Could Microsoft be the source of these files?

XP-SP3 system.
    Did you Ccleaner on February 10th of this year? Ccleaner makes back up files of registry entries you delete. So, if you don't want the registry entries recreated don't merge the files. If there have been no ill effects since you ran Ccleaner you can delete the files.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi it looks to me like they are "ccleaner" backup files, ?? have you ran "ccleaner" lately,and did a registry cleanup,if so the cleaner will make a backup before deleting the files found,and may very well be saved in "my documents , hope this helps

Thanks
    These are definitely CCleaner back up files. The first group of numbers is a date stamp. If these are the newest, then they can be deleted.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Did you Ccleaner on February 10th of this year? Ccleaner makes back up files of registry entries you delete. So, if you don't want the registry entries recreated don't merge the files. If there have been no ill effects since you ran Ccleaner you can delete the files.

Joe
    Thanks JoeP, yes I used CCleaner and I supose I should have picked up on the CC part of the file name. And yes, all's runng smoothly. Didn't know about the backup files CCleaner makes though. Thanks for the information.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acein1 View Post
    hi it looks to me like they are "ccleaner" backup files, ?? have you ran "ccleaner" lately,and did a registry cleanup,if so the cleaner will make a backup before deleting the files found,and may very well be saved in "my documents , hope this helps
    Yep, CCleaner is the "bad-guy" so to speak. See my reply to JoeP. Much thanks, AceIn1.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    These are definitely CCleaner back up files. The first group of numbers is a date stamp. If these are the newest, then they can be deleted.

Thank you, Ted for pointing out the date in the file title, an added bit of useful info, which jives with the date I ran CCleaner. Also: See my previous posts to all who set me straight. Thanks all around.