Lounger
    Thanks
    I hope someone can help me out. I have just upgraded to windows 7 64 bit from XP 32 bit and need to install my HP printer. I have found the 64 bit drivers at the HP site for my printer. But I am not sure if I install the original software then upgrade with the new 64 bit drivers, or just install the new drivers. The new drivers are not even half the size of the old ones, 200Mb compared to 600Mb. Any help would be appreciated, I'm not that computer literate
    Cheers John.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just install the new 64-bit drivers.

Most likely, the 32-bit drivers also come with a software bundle, hence the larger size. Sometimes you can download and install the software bundle separately, if you really want it. But I usually ignore it - Photoshop Elements gives me all the picture editing features I need.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John G Campbell View Post
    I hope someone can help me out. I have just upgraded to windows 7 64 bit from XP 32 bit and need to install my HP printer. I have found the 64 bit drivers at the HP site for my printer. But I am not sure if I install the original software then upgrade with the new 64 bit drivers, or just install the new drivers. The new drivers are not even half the size of the old ones, 200Mb compared to 600Mb. Any help would be appreciated, I'm not that computer literate
    Cheers John.
    Hi John and welcome

I suspect the original XP drivers included extra things like control panels etc. The 64 bit driver (200 Mb) is probably all you need. You might even be able to use the XP driver if the new one doesnt work by installing it in compatibility mode.

To do that right click the installer>properties>compatibility mode>XP

Good luck and let us know if you need help

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    If the extras you had with XP were available for your printer you would see it on the HP site. I would suggest the drivers available from HP will work successfully with your printer. Don't bother with the old drivers. It's possible that after some time HP will offer the other options that were available with XP, or perhaps they will not be needed as the drivers you've just gotten from them will work well without the extras.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I have just realised the 64 bit drivers were for Vista 64 bit,don't know if they will work.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John G Campbell View Post
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I have just realised the 64 bit drivers were for Vista 64 bit,don't know if they will work.
    The 64-bit Vista drivers are more likely to work than the 32-bit XP drivers as 64-bit Windows requires 64-bit drivers. Vista uses the same general driver architecture as Windows 7. You may have to run the installer in compatability mode.

Joe
    Joe