Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First time poster but long time member of WindowsSecrets ..........I am a semi-expierienced newbie since puters ain't my generation........this CONNECTIVITY thing is my weakest area of knowledge ........

A friend of mine had Verizon FIOS and used an Actiontec M1424WR modem supplied to her.
    She moved to Brazil and gave me her modem/router.

My questions >>>>>>>>

1) Is it possible to use this modem/router which has both wired and wireless ports in same way as one you buy from Staples, etc. ?? - OR - Is it irretrievably tied up in some way with interior coding so that it will only work with FIOS ???????

I am not interested in the wireless aspect at this time.

Can I hook my daughter's cable modem ( she is in eastern PA - don't know what company she has ) up to this OR at least her ethernet cable to it ?
    I am assuming she can hook up an ethernet cable from her modem to the ethernet IN port on this FIOS modem ??????????
    Can she then hook up a second computer to one of the 4 available ethernet ports on the back ?

2) I am told that with ANY wireless capable modem that even if I am not using the wireless capability and only using it with wired connections that I MUST enter the settings and disable the wireless or change the settings since even though I am using only wired connections that my security could be threatened. True ????????

3) The RESET button I have read will return the modem to settings it had from the factory or in this case when it was delivered to my friend from Verizon FIOS.

If I can use this modem, should I RESET the modem so I can access its settings and make them my own ? I presume that I cannot change to my own settings since I don't know her passwords/settings which I "assume" she made when she got the modem from FIOS.

Any other advice and caveats would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe.
    See the section on bridging here:
    http://agaric.com/note/how-setup-lin...r-verizon-fios
    Verizon usually expects these routers to be returned when service is terminated, so your friend may receive an unexpected bill.