New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the Windows 7 upgrade and plan on doing a clean install on a computer with Windows Vista. I have backed up my files to an off site date storage site and plan to restore after I install Windows 7. Is there any thing I should know before I do this, steps to take, etc. I am a little afraid of not being able to restore and losing all my data.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Follow all the directions carefully re: installation of Win 7. When it's done, simply restore your files and you normally would in any windows version. The only concern is that you will have to reinstall all your programs, some of which might not be functional in Win 7. But if they ran in Vista, you should be ok with Win 7;

Good luck

Thanks
    Here is a helpfull guide, the key points are "hard" backing up of your data to a CD/DVD or partition
    & collecting all your needed drivers before hand.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do what I did. I bought a new hard drive and installed Win7 on that. Then I hooked my old hard drive up (for a desktop, it was simply plugging the old hard drive back in, for a laptop I purchased an external USB drive bay into which I installed the old hard drive) and copied my files over. One benefit is that if worse came to worse, it would be easy to reinstall the old hard drive and boot from it.

I have done this on one two desktops and three laptops - works great!

Thanks
    One other option that has not been mentioned, when you clean install Win 7 over your Vista partition without reformating your Vista partition first, the clean install creates a folder in your new OS called windows.old. This folder contains your entire old OS including all your data, your favorites, your pictures/music, your contacts, everything. You can open this folder and drag this data back into your new OS. You will still have to reinstall your apps. I have found that Win 7 does a great job of installing up to date drivers for your hardware, but you can always go to manufacturers sites and get the latest drivers after the fact. This option saved me a lot of time in getting my data back. The backups to an ext. media takes quite a while. It's always good to do this before you start, but you can get your data back from windows.old and save some time over the ext. media. (It's always good to back up your data in this manner even when not upgrading your OS)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    One other option that has not been mentioned, when you clean install Win 7 over your Vista partition without reformating your Vista partition first, the clean install creates a folder in your new OS called windows.old. This folder contains your entire old OS including all your data, your favorites, your pictures/music, your contacts, everything. You can open this folder and drag this data back into your new OS. You will still have to reinstall your apps. I have found that Win 7 does a great job of installing up to date drivers for your hardware, but you can always go to manufacturers sites and get the latest drivers after the fact. This option saced me a lot of time in getting my data back. The backups to an ext. media takes quite a while. It's always good to do this before you start, but you can get your data back from windows.old and save some time over the ext. media. (It's always good to back up your data in this manner even when not upgrading your OS)

Would you recommend doing this rather than doing an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7?

Thanks
    I would definitely do the clean install, as indeed I did on 5 seperate PCs. 4 laptops, all 64 Bit and 1 desktop, 32 bit. 4 of the 5 were Home Premium and one of the 64 bit versions was Ultimate. All went smooth as silk using the process I described.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much.