New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have some old .php file extensions files which I am trying to open without success. I have found on the web that they could have been generated by MS Picture It! but I have reinstalled that old application to no avail. Can anyone help?

Thanks David

Thanks
    On the web, a .php file is a text file that contains PHP script code typically mixed with HTML. If you open it in WordPad or another slightly sophisticated text editor (Notepad can't deal with Unix-style line breaks), you can quickly determine whether that is what they are. (PHP scripts usually begin with <?php.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing to do with the web I am afraid. They are the files for a brochure which a real estate agent prepared for the sale of a previous house. In wordpad I do find a reference to "DESC Greetings Workshop".

Thanks David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Blanchard View Post
    Nothing to do with the web I am afraid. They are the files for a brochure which a real estate agent prepared for the sale of a previous house. In wordpad I do find a reference to "DESC Greetings Workshop".
    I'm not familiar with Greetings Workshop. According to an ancient press release, it was a Microsoft/Hallmark product (Microsoft and Hallmark Connections Announce New Version of Greetings Workshop Featuring New Technology for Creating Multimedia Greetings for the Internet). Discussions on Microsoft's support boards indicate that if you were able to find the product somewhere, it should run on XP but probably won't run on Vista or Windows 7. Posts are inconclusive about whether Picture It! or Microsoft Digital Image will open the .php files. Sounds as though it could be a challenge.

We probably all have some legacy formats on our PCs or backup disks, and will have a similar problem some day. Hope you find a solution.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I guess the files will just have to be hidden for posterity! I do not even remember having the related software package!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    According to the http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/mic...-problems.html page, it seems that someone was able to open PHP files using Microsoft Digital Image Starter Edition 2006.

Something to try, perhaps.