Thread: Home network

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 3 laptops- Win7, Vista Home Premium & XP; all 'up to date'. With Win7 I thought networking was supposed to be easy, especially between W7 & Vista. This is all wireless. Actually, online, it shows the 2 laptops linked, yet neither computer sees the other. So. What am I missing / doing wrong. Thanks for any help.
    Tice

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Check the firewalls and the Workgroup names need to be the same?
    Also remember that the computer names need to be different and Vista and Windows 7 require that the user accounts have passwords. I made a admin account with a password on ALL machine that are the same. This includes the XP machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Question, Dave.

Can you point me to somewhere that describes the need for Vista and Win 7 machines to have passwords on their accounts? I'm wondering if that is the reason that I can't access my new Win 7 machine's shared drives from my other WinXP and Win98 machines.

Right now, all of my computers have a single account called "Admin" and no passwords.

Many thanks!

dwayne

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The best test is to ping the other PCs. To do this you need to know the IP address of all PCs.
    1. Open a Command Prompt.
    2. Type ipconfig. This will show yo the IP address of the machine you are typing on.
    3. Go to another PC and open a Command Prompt.
    4. Type ping ip_address, where ip_address is the IP address from the other machine. e.g. ping 192.168.0.3
    If your network is working you will get a response from the other machine.

Please let us know what you find?

cheers, Paul