New Lounger
    Thanks

0-bit encryption (IE 5.5 SP2)

Good morning,

Windows Millennium Edition (ME) computer running IE 5.5 SP2. Installed Reader Rabbit software that also installed DirectX software to support it. IE encryption went from 128-bit to 0-bit and I haven't been able to get it back.

Reinstalled IE 5.5 SP2 from MS site thinking it would force the encryption level back to 128-bit. It didn't, and I later found mention that it doesn't change the encryption level on Windows ME and Win 2K operating systems.

Found MS Article Q261328. Unfortunately the OEM, Hewelett Packard, did not include the files Rsabase.dll, Rsaenh.dll, and Schannel.dll in the < Windir >OptionsInstall folder. I searched all over and there were only the 3 files in the windir system folder. Those are the apparently damaged files that are supposed to be replaced. Are those 3 files generic enough that I could just copy them from another Windows ME computer? The only CDs included are 3 to do a complete reinstall of the OS.

I also tried the ie501dom.exe file several times but it would not work.

I went into "Safe" mode and renamed the 3 files mentioned above to .old and then reinstalled IE again from the MS Site but it still didn't work.

I don't know what version of DirectX was installed. I removed Reader Rabbit and one other software component it installed using the Add/Remove components but it didn't help. I didn't see how to remove DirectX. Can DirectX be deinstalled? Or should I upgrade to the uninstallable version 8 that is now available at MS? Should I go ahead and put Reader Rabbit back on since I have to deal with this anyway? (My 5 yr old niece better like that program <g>)

I'd sure appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 0-bit encryption (IE 5.5 SP2)

Hi
    May I just ask : do you have to use Windows ME?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile. Good question. I have Win NT 4.0 workstations and servers here at work but that computer doesn't belong to me. It is fairly new and came with Windows ME. The fix in the Q261328 article sounded simple except the Windows Me cab files didn't contain those necessary 3 files. That was why I was hoping those 3 files were generic enough I could just get them off of someone elses computer with ME.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I finally found the answer to the problem on the Reader Rabbit company web site. It was a known problem with the installation of the software on Win ME computers running IE 5.5. They had a fix available that repaired a different file, not the 3 mentioned in the MS support article to replace for 0-bit encryption problems. I was slow to think of checking the company web site since I haven