Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why did Windows set the clock on my computer ahead by two hours? This happened in both XP and Windows 7.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It just reset it self. What is going on here?

Thanks
    It would have set it for daylight savings time, but that would only have been 1 hour. Are you sure it was correct to start with?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Me too.

I read your post with mild interest in the middle of the night when my (computer) clock had advanced by the proper one hour, but it appears that this afternoon some time, unless I missed it sooner, it advanced an additional hour.

I should add that my computers are not left running continuously, and that could be a factor. Was your computer on all the time?

I strongly advise setting the clock to the correct time ASAP (single-click on the time, then 'Change date and time settings'). You can get into all sorts of trouble if you fail to do so.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows default is to sync with time.windows.com. Check your Event Viewer for W32Time events.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Windows default is to sync with time.windows.com. Check your Event Viewer for W32Time events.

cheers, Paul
    That is what my computer was set to sync to, but I don't think that is what advances it an hour for DST (which I think happens whether or not you are online). On the other hand, if both happen that would explain the extra hour in certain circumstances. The frequency or day and time for the online clock sync is a possible major factor, since most probably have it reset weekly at most and probably on a default day at a default time.

I'll have to wrap my mind around this for a while to see if I can figure it out if no one else beats me to it, as I had expected to happen long before this. There may be extensive legal implications to it, especially for businesses, as you may have realized. As it happens I was in the middle of making an online purchase when I realized that I should abort that and correct the time before proceeding.

Thanks
    Is there a chance that the wrong time zone is entered and that changing to Daylight Savings Time in the specified time zone could have been the problem?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The time zone was correct. As I said earlier the problem corrected itself and is showing the correct time now

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen47 View Post
    The time zone was correct. As I said earlier the problem corrected itself and is showing the correct time now
    I appear to have misread the second post. It definitely did not correct itself in my case, and I am left to wonder if your computer's self-correction was due to a scheduled time sync.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Did you check your Event Log for time events?

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Did you check your Event Log for time events?

cheers, Paul
    I haven't had a chance to do it yet, but I will do. In the meantime the microwave's clock display is blinking at me, and there may have been a power failure somewhere along the line.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you by any chance running a duel boot system? If so, did you boot into both sytems around the time of the clock change? If so, set only one of them to update the clock, I've run into this problem in the past with older Windows systems when dual booting between OS's but am currently only running single OS systems and so can't test this idea. Just a thought... Hope it helps, Murray

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hallo there!

My WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE was updated via windows update (manual update by me - I have AUTO update turned off) 2010-03-20 with a fix for daylight time issues.
    It could be related to the problem you describes. See the following link to Microsoft for a description of fix KB979306):
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979306

Regards
    S-O

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I confess I am quite preoccupied (in spite of an unusual number of posts from me of late) BUT this topic is becoming very interesting indeed thanks to your replies.

Yes, I have a dual boot system. The default is Win 7 Ultimate N which, if you weren't aware of it, means that it is the European version of Windows on a computer here in North America. I applied a patch and added the missing software (IE and Media Player, I think) but there is the remote possibility that this is somehow tied to its being the European version.

That is the system that gained an extra hour. The other system, on a separate physical drive, boots into Vista, and it experienced no problem with the time change.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What Time Zone are you using?

I ask because Windows still differentiates between Eastern and Eastern (Indiana).

I live in Indiana, and until April, 2006, we did not observe Daylight Savings Time. Since that change, there's been Windows updates that addressed the time changes, but there's still a difference between choosing the two different time zones.

Before the change, I noticed behavior similar to what you describe. Now, I set all my computers to Eastern or UTC-5:00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast