New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is my first time to post and really hope someone can help on this........I bought a new copy of Windows XP Pro SP3, wiped my original WD 160GB and installed it on this harddrive. While installing other apps later, it lost sound and then also lost video. I then wiped the drive again with Secure Erase and still could not get it to install. It gives a message of "An installation of Windows XP found on this partition. Would you like to continue? or install to another partition?. I've tried both with the same results; it will start to format the partition and then freeze. I then bought a new WD 320GB drive, tried to install it there and got error message "could not copy certain (?) files. I then thought that it was possibly a bad Windows CD so I exchanged it for a new one and bought another WD 320GB harddrive. Again no luck,,,,would not install on the new hdd. I have wiped all the drives twice, cleared the CMOS twice, and still get the message "Another installation of XP found".
    Any and all help will be appreciated,
    Thanks

Thanks
    Hi Charlie and welcome to the Lounge!

I do not have a definitive answer to your issue, but if you want to check out this ZDNet link , particularly the Update III section, then maybe it will be useful in your situation. I do not know if you are using ATA or SATA drives.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Rogers View Post
    This is my first time to post and really hope someone can help on this........I bought a new copy of Windows XP Pro SP3, wiped my original WD 160GB and installed it on this harddrive. While installing other apps later, it lost sound and then also lost video. I then wiped the drive again with Secure Erase and still could not get it to install. It gives a message of "An installation of Windows XP found on this partition. Would you like to continue? or install to another partition?. I've tried both with the same results; it will start to format the partition and then freeze. I then bought a new WD 320GB drive, tried to install it there and got error message "could not copy certain (?) files. I then thought that it was possibly a bad Windows CD so I exchanged it for a new one and bought another WD 320GB harddrive. Again no luck,,,,would not install on the new hdd. I have wiped all the drives twice, cleared the CMOS twice, and still get the message "Another installation of XP found".
    Any and all help will be appreciated,
    Thanks
    If you run DBAN that will obliterate absolutely everything on the HDD and allow you to do a clean install. However, as part of the XP install routine when you meet the 'another installation' message you should get the option to reformat the HDD, at least I do. If you pick that option the installer should reformat the drive and continue.

You might then find you have no sound or your graphics are funny because your hardware needs specific drivers. You will have to find those via Google but the PC manufacturer's web site is a good starting point.

stuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Charlie and welcome to the Lounge!

I do not have a definitive answer to your issue, but if you want to check out this ZDNet link , particularly the Update III section, then maybe it will be useful in your situation. I do not know if you are using ATA or SATA drives.

Thanks for the reply. I am using SATA drives and am using Secure Erase as it recomends on ZDNet link with the results I stated earlier.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    If you run DBAN that will obliterate absolutely everything on the HDD and allow you to do a clean install. However, as part of the XP install routine when you meet the 'another installation' message you should get the option to reformat the HDD, at least I do. If you pick that option the installer should reformat the drive and continue.

You might then find you have no sound or your graphics are funny because your hardware needs specific drivers. You will have to find those via Google but the PC manufacturer's web site is a good starting point.

stuck
    Thanks stuck,
    I have been using Secure Erase. Then after the partition is formatted it gives the 'another installation' message and these options:
    1) Continue with installation on this partition
    2) Install to a different partition
    3) Quit installation
    I have tried both 1) and 2) with no results. It then gives a message 'setup cannot continue'. I think I will try both Secure Erase and DBAN, then try to install again.

Thanks
    Give us detailed system specs: board, memory, vga make/model?

Would have originally thought HD too. Any RAID?

Have you tried using a different SATA port on the board.
    Set up bios to default. Remove any OC if applicable.
    Sounds memory related.
    Memtest86 x 8 hrs.Experiment with another set of memory.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What happens if you skip using Secure Erase, just install Windows, then delete and format the partition within Setup?
    Chuck

Lounger
    Thanks
    Is your DVD PATA or SATA? I agree with CLiNT's request & suggestion. Assuming you have some technical skills.....

Are the DVD R/W, HDD drives on the SATA/PATA ? ports being detected and reported correctly during the POST & Boot.
    If you don't see this diagnostic BIOS screen, go to the BIOS setup & look for the Diagnostic BOOT screen ENABLE. The option is frequently found in the list usually found just before the exit button on the task bar at the top.

If you don't see either the DVD or the HDD in this screen (press "Pause/Break" to halt the display) then you may have either a crook DVD or HDD cable/connector on the MOBO or wrong HDD Master/Slave setting on the drive. If the drive(s) still do not show up in the Boot diag screen, then your MOBO/Drive controllers or Memory is highly suspect. I'm assuming you have already checked the Power Supply rails for both +12 & +5 volts to the Drive connectors. Do the check on the old Molex 4 pin connector. The SATA cables are small & your liable to short the power supply!!

I've run into MOBO's/WINXP installation problems, which just will not install from a DVD on a SATA. It's OK using a PATA cd/dvd drive.

If it's on a SATA port, temporaryily unplug it & plug any old working CD ROM into the MOBO PATA Controller#1 connector on the MOBO with an 80 wire cable & try again.
    You need to install XP -SP1 or SP2 before SP-3 will install? Unless you have created a SlipStreamed CD of SP1 or SP2 & SP3. (& all the patches maybe)