New Lounger
    Thanks
    c:\atl71.dll
    c:\mdf71.dll
    c:\mfc71u.dll

These 3 files recently started appearing in my root directory. If I delete/move them, they reappear.

I'm using XP SP3 with MSE virus and spyware protection; I stay up to date with Windows Update and MSE scans my system as clean.

Any tips on what process might be (re)placing them there and if it's OK to leave them there?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    None of those files should be appearing in your root directory. Have you recently installed or upgraded other applications.

You ought to consider installing and running the free version of Malwarebytes.org as a second opinion. It is always good to have more than one malware detection program around.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No major application updates but system is always changing since I use Windows Update and let it 'do its thing'.

I'd say latest big update was a new version of MSE - MSFT Security Essentials.

Also, I almost exclusively use Firefox and it's up to date, too, at version 3.6.3

I've downloaded latest Malwarebytes from link above and I'll give it a run.

Update -- 4 infected objects so far -- thanks for the malwarebytes suggestion.

Results: Quick Scan doesn't seem too bad -- 4 registry keys from "Spyware.MarketScore" removed.

I'll try full scan.

Results: Full scan OK -- no more objects.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried to download the malwarebytes.org program (three times) but it says that the installation files are corrupted. I clicked on the link two posts up and got to the malwarebytes website and then when I clicked the download button I was sent to Cnet. Any other place to get that program?

Thanks
    Try downloading Malwarebytes in Safe Mode with networking or download it on another PC and put it on a usb stick. Once you get a good copy, run Malware bytes in safe mode with networking. Some malware will prevent you from running any security apps in normal mode.

Jerry