Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi. I'm trying to help a non-computer savy friend with an XP Pro destop from HP. Pentium 4 - 1gB RAM - 160gB HDD. Not sure of what SP. I'm not sure if he's followed good updating procedures/regimen over history. He uses Norton 360.

Problem was very slow response and long startup times. I disabled about 7 startup applications - QTLauncher, ITunes Helper, MSmsgs, several inconsequential tray apps in order to cut down on the startup. WU immediately popped up with update invite for IE8. He was on IE6. So we decided to update. I told him that installing IE8 would most likely reveal a slew of additional updates post-IE8. We launched the update and I had to leave.

A day or so later, he calls and says the computer is really messed up. The desktop appears but there is a batch of several icons that he recognizes from when he first purchased the system. His wallpaper is different. All icons from before the problem are in place and intermingled with these "new" ones. It acts as though every application is starting from scratch. Office 2003 is begging for an install CD key. Quickbooks reports it is installed incorrectly and needs to be reinstalled. His HP printer is not found and XP reports it found new hardware and needs software for the HP printer. He launches IE and the system is prompting that it can't connect because in ISP isn't set up. There are a few other apps that act similarly. It's as though the system is "brand new" even though it's been running fine (albeit slow) for the last several years.

On the phone, I walked him through trying for a system restore back to before the update. There is only one restore point (using the wizard interface) and that one doesn't take us back far enough to the other day. The rest of the restore points (if there were any) are totally gone. He does have a backup external drive but on the phone I can't determine what if anything is backed up or when the last backup occurred.

Does anyone have a sense for anything further we can try to ressurect this thing before doing a complete XP reinstall? At this point, I don't believe a repair install is called for - he is able to boot to windows and he gets his desktop without errors showing. I was thinking of uninstalling the IE8. I'm additionally thinking of trying to back out any hotfixes that may have been applied after I left. I'm told this was working post IE8 for a couple of sessions.

I'm unsure of how to tell exactly what and when MS/KB hotfixes were applied and exactly how to back them out. I just need someone to point me in some direction.

Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    The system is acting as though he booted using a different user logon or into safe mode.

You should be able to uninstall IE8 and have it revert back to IE6. I strongly recommend you try to debug what is happening. IE6 is so old and insecure that no one should be using it anymore.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe -

AFAIK, there was only one user account (called OWNER) which autologs on and is set for Admin rights.

IE6 - this IS old and I recommended updating pronto. I was not surprised to find the invitation to install IE8 seconds after the first reboot - just after disabling the myraid startup items. I was going to go further and uninstall a lot of unused/unwanted apps but ran short of time on this particular visit. I was convinced leaving him to just do IE8 and whatever followed it would be safe. Apparently not because what ever got into this, surfaced on a subsequent reboot.

Any hope, Joe???

H

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb Slass View Post
    AFAIK, there was only one user account (called OWNER) which autologs on and is set for Admin rights.

IE6 - this IS old and I recommended updating pronto. I was not surprised to find the invitation to install IE8 seconds after the first reboot - just after disabling the myraid startup items. I was going to go further and uninstall a lot of unused/unwanted apps but ran short of time on this particular visit. I was convinced leaving him to just do IE8 and whatever followed it would be safe. Apparently not because what ever got into this, surfaced on a subsequent reboot.

Any hope, Joe???
    This is strange. Windows does just add lots of icons to the desktop. I guess the user profile could be corrupted. Can he create a new user profile, give it administrator rights, and boot to it to see what happens?

Joe
    Joe