Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This was originally, mistakenly posted in the Networking forum- sorry 'bout that!
    ***
    I am in the throes of setting up a new Windows 7 computer (Dell Studio XPS 8100). In attempting to move whatever could be moved from my old Windows XP machine (Dell Dimension 8300) I used the Windows Easy Transfer route. I had no problem copying the files (approx. 100GB worth!) on the XP machine to an external hard drive (WD My Book 3.0). However, when trying to copy them over to the new Windows 7 computer, the process aborted before finishing. Now It appears that I have most of what I really need but there are still some pieces missing. I have been told by a couple tech support people that I should copy the "Owners" folder (NOT the entire "Documents and Settings" folder) under "Documents and Settings" on the XP computer to the Windows 7 machine. Seems like that should be pretty simple, right? Well, not for me at least. When I start the copy process to the external drive, I get an "Error Copying File or Folder" dialog box which says "Cannot copy ntuser: It is being used by another person or program." "Close any programs that might be using the file and try again." I don't know if it is only that particular file (ntuser.dat) that is the problem since I haven't been able to get beyond this point.

    Any help that anyone can provide to bail me out of this mess would be greatly appreciated. Also, any comments as to whether I am doing the right thing in the first place.

  2. #2
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you're logged in as a particular user various files in that user's profile folder will be locked. Log in as someone else and you won't have that problem.

  3. #3
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwock View Post
    If you're logged in as a particular user various files in that user's profile folder will be locked. Log in as someone else and you won't have that problem.
    Thanks for the response. However, there is only one user account on the Windows XP computer and that has administrator priviliges. Still something missing!

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, that's your problem - you're logged on as that single user, which is why you can't move some files. You'll either have to create a new account on the XP machine with admin privileges to move the files from the old account, or fiddle around with your network browsing and permissions to browse from the Win7 machine to the admin share on the XP machine while you're logged out of it. If you're not sure what I'm talking about in that last part then the first is probably the way to go.

    Though to be honest you probably don't need everything from the profile anyway - do you know what it is that's missing, or are you just being prudent?

  5. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Exiled Mainer --

    I've beeen very impressed with the Windows Easy Transfer Utility .... if you don't use the one that comes on the WIN 7 Media but download the later version from the Microsoft Website.

    In my opinion Microsoft have done a superb job with the detailed step by step procedures they have posted especially the one for XP to WIN 7:

    Here's a link to the jump off point

    Click on Upgrading and then on Upgrading XP to WIndows 7 and read the series of tabbed steps.

    Step 2 has the details of using WET and the download link for it near the bottom if you scroll down. Make sure you get the right version for your setup.

    The big difference between this and the earlier version that is on the DVD is that you can tailor what you transfer.

    When you get to one point in the procedure after saying you want to create a file and it has done its scanning the word Customize should appear under each user setting (and you can select/deselect Users) and when you click on Customize you get a first check box selection of groups which you can use if it suits you OR you can click on Advanced and you get a File Manager type tree of your entire computer showing multiple drives if you have them and showing the folders -- you can go through and select or deselect as it suits you -- I deselected all but my main C: drive (I have 8 logical drives on 2 physical drives) and then fine tuned to what I thought was the right selection on a complex, multiboot system!

    Do have a look if you have not already -- it's extremely well put together.

    FWIW

  6. #6
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwock View Post
    Yes, that's your problem - you're logged on as that single user, which is why you can't move some files. You'll either have to create a new account on the XP machine with admin privileges to move the files from the old account, or fiddle around with your network browsing and permissions to browse from the Win7 machine to the admin share on the XP machine while you're logged out of it. If you're not sure what I'm talking about in that last part then the first is probably the way to go.

    Though to be honest you probably don't need everything from the profile anyway - do you know what it is that's missing, or are you just being prudent?
    I created a new user account- now, which account do I try to copy that folder from??? BTW, the "Owner" folder in the new account is not at all like the old one.

    I think there is quite a bit of info that did not come across with the Windows Easy Transfer process. In particular, I have tax data that will be transferred when we do next year's income tax and that will save several of us in the family a good bit of time.

  7. #7
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    North Carolina USA in winter, Maine in summer
    Posts
    177
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
    Exiled Mainer --

    I've beeen very impressed with the Windows Easy Transfer Utility .... if you don't use the one that comes on the WIN 7 Media but download the later version from the Microsoft Website.

    In my opinion Microsoft have done a superb job with the detailed step by step procedures they have posted especially the one for XP to WIN 7:

    Here's a link to the jump off point

    Click on Upgrading and then on Upgrading XP to WIndows 7 and read the series of tabbed steps.

    Step 2 has the details of using WET and the download link for it near the bottom if you scroll down. Make sure you get the right version for your setup.

    The big difference between this and the earlier version that is on the DVD is that you can tailor what you transfer.

    When you get to one point in the procedure after saying you want to create a file and it has done its scanning the word Customize should appear under each user setting (and you can select/deselect Users) and when you click on Customize you get a first check box selection of groups which you can use if it suits you OR you can click on Advanced and you get a File Manager type tree of your entire computer showing multiple drives if you have them and showing the folders -- you can go through and select or deselect as it suits you -- I deselected all but my main C: drive (I have 8 logical drives on 2 physical drives) and then fine tuned to what I thought was the right selection on a complex, multiboot system!

    Do have a look if you have not already -- it's extremely well put together.

    FWIW
    Hugh-

    Iagree and I used Windows Easy Transfer but the problem was that the transfer to the Win 7 computer unexpectedly aborted before the transfer was completed.

  8. #8
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExiledMainer View Post
    I created a new user account- now, which account do I try to copy that folder from??? BTW, the "Owner" folder in the new account is not at all like the old one.

    I think there is quite a bit of info that did not come across with the Windows Easy Transfer process. In particular, I have tax data that will be transferred when we do next year's income tax and that will save several of us in the family a good bit of time.
    Copy the folder in the Documents and Settings folder called whatever the old account username was - could well be Owner.

    And can't you just copy the tax data etc on to a flashdrive or DVD and transfer it that way? To be honest I'm hyperventilating a bit about you not seeming to have backups of it, but that's just me....

  9. #9
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Port Ludlow, Washington, USA
    Posts
    36
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A friend had a big problem with Easy Transfer in moving from Vista Home Premium 32-bit to 64-bit Win 7 Home Premium (clean install). He used the very latest Easy Transfer downloaded from Microsoft and carried out the first step on his Vista PC ("old") saving it to an external hard drive. He the performed the clean install of Win 7, re-installed all his programs and then attempted the Easy Transfer to the newly installed Win 7 ("new") from the file saved on the external hard drive. He received the error message shown in the attachment. Going from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win 7 is not a factor - I and many of my friends have done this and had no problem with Easy Transfer. He spent some time with a Microsoft support person, but the problem was not solved. Has anyone heard of a similar problem? Any suggested fixes? The only thing I cold suggest was to do a CHKDSK on his external hard drive to see if it might find a disk problem which, when repaired, might allow the Easy Transfer file to be opened. Don P
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Plorde

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •