Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lethbridge, Alberta
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Recently upgraded all of our clients to Win7 64bit on a Windows domain using a Windows 2008 domain server. All user documents folders are redirected to the server. When opening a file from the user location (especially Office 2007 files) the first one accessed is very slow opening. After that everything opens as expected. Wondering if there is some sort of authentication issue at work here. I have tried changing the user location pointer to a FQDN (e.g. \\server.domain.com\user) and turned off windows "remote differential compression". Neither worked. Suggestions?

  2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

    Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

    Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

    + Get this BONUS — free!

    Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

  3. #2
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm having the same issue with brand new Dell Optiplex 960's with Windows 7 Professional and an existing Dell Server that has always had Server 2008 (new server and new domain when installed).

  4. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA USA
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you are not using IPv6 on these machines, Disable it. even if they don't have an address they will attempt to use the protocol.

    It's only a guess but it made a notable difference in performance for us...

  5. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lethbridge, Alberta
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Jaaf,

    Did that before the machines were even added to the domain. Still working on a solution at this point. Again, it only happens when opening the first network file. After that it's fine. Gonna experiment with the offline files settings somewhat as these files are synchronized.

    FYI...I just tried this. Disabled offline files on my own machine, rebooted and the problem was immediately corrected. Offline files must be updating the cache or something on the first open of the synched folder.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •