Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please see the attached pic. These small symbols appear on the outside the left and right border of tables in footers. They also print! I can't select or delete them. Can only add a new table in the footer and delete the old one. What are these symbols and how can I delete them?

Thanks,
    Charlie
    charlie6067
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to assume you are not speaking of the page number fields.

I can't tell from here what the empty boxes are. Have you tried changing the font? Sometimes those boxes show up when you don't have the font installed that was used when the text was created.

The also look like end of row/cell markers, but those don't print.

Can you post the whole file?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's a blank example attached. Note, the symbols start appearing in page 2's footer but not on page 1. The the page numbering fields are not a problem. The left mystery symbol appears inside the left top cell in footer; the other two symbols appear outside of the right table border. I tried turning off hidden text but no success, and, the symbols print. Thanks for your reply. Hope this helps.

Charlie
    charlie6067
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Charlie,

If you select only one of the mystery boxes, you'll see that the font applied to it is something called "Fortis Helvetica Light" - which I'm guessing isn't installed on your PC (it certainly isn't on mine!) - and which is (as ATPWordPro suggested) probably causing the problem. If you go to the top of the footer and do a Ctrl+A to select all, and then apply Arial to the entire selection, the boxes disappear.

By the way, the sample document is showing Word 97 compatibility - are you still using Word 97? If you're using a considerably later version of Word, and are producing this document from a template, you should upgrade the template to a more recent version of Word - things will just work more reliably if you do.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for stepping in Gary!!!

I got involved with [s]one of the lawyers from hell[/s] er, a challenging user and didn't get a chance to come back yesterday.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gary - what you said makes perfect sense. Years ago, my company hired some marketing company to design a custom font family that was used company wide. We no longer use it but run into older forms that still have it in places. Our forms always have a different first page so it makes sense that this glitch starts on page 2. Man, you nailed it! Sad to say, some users in my company still use Word 97, but thanks for the reminder. That could be why some users with Word 97 have problems the rest of us with Word 2003 do not. Wish we could be one company with one version of MS Office.

Thanks again!
    Charlie
    charlie6067