Thread: Suite nothings

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    There are certain utility suites, such as Iolo System Mechanic and Avanquest SystemSuite, that include AV and Firewall functions if a user chooses to install them. I can't recall ever having seen an opinion on such paid-for-but-optional security features.

I am in a position of having one such suite and one (light-duty for online use) XP computer that needs protection. I have a rough idea of the freeware territory, but this stuff is already paid for and I would be interested to know how it compares.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

I am a firm Believer that antivirus protection is best done by antivirus
    companies, those with a known track record in the field ; this
    philosophy also applies to firewalls . Suite-type programs would be
    "HIPS" ( Host-based Intrusion Prevention System ) programs, which
    I feel are best "explored" on the Wilders Security Forums, though
    when it comes to these "types" of programs I favor "DefenseWall" .

IF you are looking for comparisons, I recommend you check out
    the Testing done by the Independent Researchers at
    www.av-comparatives.org , particularly their "Retrospective/proactive"
    category .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I will do the research but I had hoped for a more direct answer, as any number of others may be in the same boat and would welcome the information (which I will post if and when I get it).

I did say that this is a light-duty (chiefly offline) computer (with no or little email) - I already have six computers with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 installed, and I balk at any thought of additional cost. Comodo is tops as a firewall, but for AV there is everything from MSE to Avast to umpteen others, and since I'm talking about a paid-for AV, even if part of a suite, it occurred to me that it might be better than free.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't want to leave readers in the dark, so I am now running System Mechanic Internet Security (along with the suite itself) on the computer in question. Apparently their protection has been significantly upgraded very recently and they are now even selling it as a standalone product, so it is too early to get anything much by way of unbiased third-party opinions. I am accordingly an early adopter (or guinea pig), but for the computer in question I can afford to take the risk and I must say that it does appear to run smoothly. I had the software anyway, and decided to give it a shot.