New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having trouble accessing the Event Log. I am logged on with Administrative privileges. When trying to access, I am told I do not have access rights. I also can not start the Event Log Service.

This happens on two separate machines, Win7 Ultimate 32 bit and Win7 Pro 64 bit. I thought that with Admin rights I should be able to access all my files? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bilmanis View Post
    I am having trouble accessing the Event Log. I am logged on with Administrative privileges. When trying to access, I am told I do not have access rights. I also can not start the Event Log Service.

This happens on two separate machines, Win7 Ultimate 32 bit and Win7 Pro 64 bit. I thought that with Admin rights I should be able to access all my files? What am I doing wrong?

Bob, HI and welcome

I assume you mean event viewer, correct? how are you trying to launch it, through typeing eventvwr in search, or some other way? Has it ever worked, and now it has stopped?

We could use some more info.

Ken J
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I first tried using Microsoft Office Diagnostics, which stated that I did not have the right privileges to access the event viewer. I then went into the Administrative tools, Computer Management console. I also was told that I did not have the right privileges to access the event viewer or not able to start the event service. The event service was set up to Automatic, but was not started.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bilmanis View Post
    I first tried using Microsoft Office Diagnostics, which stated that I did not have the right privileges to access the event viewer. I then went into the Administrative tools, Computer Management console. I also was told that I did not have the right privileges to access the event viewer or not able to start the event service. The event service was set up to Automatic, but was not started.
    Unlike XP, when you are an administrator you do not have complete control. What happens when you go to Start, then type in eventvwr.msc in the search box, then right click on "eventvwr.msc" and select "run as administrator"?

When you boot the system if you get an error about the event log service not starting see Fix for Event Log Service Startup Error 1079 - The Winhelponline Blog.

BTW, have you disabled UAC?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I disabled UAC and still receive Error message. (Error 5: Access is Denied)
    I start services.msc as an administrator to no avail.
    I checke security settings, and I have full control and ownership.
    Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I do not want to do a full re-install.

Bob

Thanks
    I like to make a folder into a sort of tool box where all my needed diagnostics/hardware monitoring and repair tools,
    reside all in one place.
    As an example, you can short cut the event viewer from either the control panel or their root directory, usually; Windows\System32,
    to the desktop, then move them into whatever folder you like.

See this thread for information on taking ownership of files and folders.

Post back to let us know if this resolved anything.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.