New Lounger
    Thanks
    i recently upgraded to windows 7 from xp professional. i have a sony dvd rw dru-830a cd/dvd read writer. the drive worked perfectly under xp, but since upgrading to win7, i am unable to read dvd data disks. i have no problem with handling prerecorded video dvds, nor with any and all types of cds, but it sees any dvd that i created as being empty. i have created a win7 system repair disk and that works just fine as win7 is not yet booted. i have tried creating disks under win7 using both windows explorer and the nero7 program that came with the sony drive. i am able to read all of the disks on two other machines i have, one running win2k professional and the other running xp home edition. i have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times, but always with the same result. i have tried to find a driver specific to the sony unit, but can't find one. i would greatly appreciate any ideas and/or pointers.

Thanks
    Have you installed the latest firmware upgrade? Also, check this page.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi rebel,
    thanks for the reply. i tried both suggestions. updated my firmware - which was out of date - and then once that was done, the windows 7 driver was reinstalled on the reboot. unfortunately, it had no effect on the performance. the same things happened again. both the nero7 burned data dvd and the windows explorer burned data dvd were reported as blank dvds by the operating system.

Thanks
    Hi Rick,
    The problem may be with your burning software (Sony version of Nero 7). According to theWindows 7 Compatibility site, Nero 8 and Nero 9 are Win7 compatible but Nero 7 is not. You may want to try upgrading to the latest version, or find another product that is compatible with Win7.
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks again rebel,
    i appreciate your information. unfortunately, even data dvds burned with the windows 7 built-in burner were unreadable.
    to further test the sony unit, i ran a knoppix dvd linux which i had burned using the nero 7 burning tools. i was able to boot to linux from startup with ease and then read from the dvd itself with no problems. however, when i attempted to read the knoppix disk from windows 7, it saw it as a blank disk.
    my video card doesn't have sufficient dram and is thus rated as a 1.0 on the windows experience index for graphics. could that possibly interfere with dvd recognition?

Thanks
    Well, apart from the incompatibility between Nero 7 and Windows 7, I have no more suggestions. I doubt very much that a low powered video card would have any bearing whatsoever on this problem. Perhaps someone else might have an idea.
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the efforts rebel.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rick ketchum View Post
    thanks for the efforts rebel.
    If the graphics card supports adjusting hardware acceleration try turning that down a notch. It is just wierd sometimes what affects what on a PC.

Joe
    Joe