New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe these "things" are related? I'd love some comments.

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium laptop with a USB connected external drive that's a bootable clone. (Not in place certainly, but when swapped with the internal drive.)

I stopped using the Windows Media Player because the Library view would show the Playlists \ Media twice (sometimes 3 times!)? I suppose because it's seeing both drives? But the damn thing spends all it's time doing stuff unrelated to the (my) task at hand. Come to think of it, this was common to Windows Live Mail too, and it's swapped for Thunderbird. Hummm.

Anyway, the USB drive works very well, but likely as not when updating any minor data to it from the original, the system may just sit there for up to a minute... then do what was asked at good speed? Then the next time around it may be nearly instantaneous?

I've seen Explorer Searching \ Indexing \ Whatever, scanning a folder? And guess Windows it's self is busy doing something in the background? I just tried Unchecking Index this Drive (and all it's folders & files) in the drive Properties. There's about 90,000 files on there and this takes a few minutes (and not all can be changed). Just trying to figure out what Windows is up to? Haven't seen the results of this mod yet and hope I haven't screwed anything up?

Generally Windows 7 seems to work well, with good reliability. But obviously there's a lot of background stuff going on in there. Anybody figured out what \ if \ anything to turn off to make it a little more User dedicated?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Smith View Post
    I stopped using the Windows Media Player because the Library view would show the Playlists \ Media twice (sometimes 3 times!)? I suppose because it's seeing both drives? But the damn thing spends all it's time doing stuff unrelated to the (my) task at hand. Come to think of it, this was common to Windows Live Mail too, and it's swapped for Thunderbird. Hummm.

Anyway, the USB drive works very well, but likely as not when updating any minor data to it from the original, the system may just sit there for up to a minute... then do what was asked at good speed? Then the next time around it may be nearly instantaneous?

I've seen Explorer Searching \ Indexing \ Whatever, scanning a folder? And guess Windows it's self is busy doing something in the background? I just tried Unchecking Index this Drive (and all it's folders & files) in the drive Properties. There's about 90,000 files on there and this takes a few minutes (and not all can be changed). Just trying to figure out what Windows is up to? Haven't seen the results of this mod yet and hope I haven't screwed anything up?
    With Windows Media Player you can control what folder are included in the Library. Open WMP. Click on Organize | Manage Libraries. Then select the Library to configure. Add or remove the folders as needed. There are other WMP options available at Organize | Options that allow you to control various aspects of WMP behavior. What do you believe WMP is doing that is unrelated to your task?

USB drives will be powered down after a period of inactivity. So, the first access after a drive is powered down will take a little while. That "little while" will vary from drive to drive.

What do you mean by "I've seen Explorer Searching \ Indexing \ Whatever, scanning a folder". What folder? On the USB drive or the internal drive? If the search indexing is not complete it will run in the background when you are not using the PC. Have you given it sufficient time to complete the index process?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the idiosyncracy lies in the methodology. A cloned drive should not be left attached as a USB drive. It should either be internal as a RAID 1 configuration or it should only occasionally (weekly maybe) be brought in from an off-site location and updated. If you are using some software that is making or attempting to continually update (syncronize) a clone of an internal disk, the first procedure of any sycronization software is to index and compare every file (can also be done on the fly--cost timewise is the same) so it knows what files to make changes to and over a USB2 connection, the time it takes to do that is going to vary, especially if the clone or syncronization software is monitoring temporary files and any browsing is occuring during that time. As I said, I think the methodology is at least part of the problem.

There can be other issues related to I/O and/or bad sectors, but those should be revealed if the problem still existed in a non-syncronizing environment.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To: JoeP,

"With Windows Media Player you can control what folder are included in the Library. Open WMP. Click on Organize | Manage Libraries. Then select the Library to configure. Add or remove the folders as needed. There are other WMP options available at Organize | Options that allow you to control various aspects of WMP behavior. What do you believe WMP is doing that is unrelated to your task?"

Indeed, you can Included other locations that contain media, and Exclude the default locations, but you can't tell it to Not include the identical locations on D:. In fact I don't know how to even tell it to Not find, include, & list media in the default library folders... that's it's job!

"USB drives will be powered down after a period of inactivity. So, the first access after a drive is powered down will take a little while. That "little while" will vary from drive to drive."

Perhaps, but since this enclosure has a Power Indicator LED, and it stays on (unless the computer is put to sleep)? Could the USB port still not be powered down? A little credit here please, don't think so.

"What do you mean by "I've seen Explorer Searching \ Indexing \ Whatever, scanning a folder". What folder? On the USB drive or the internal drive? If the search indexing is not complete it will run in the background when you are not using the PC. Have you given it sufficient time to complete the index process?"

Questions answered with questions, but that wasn't explained well... The Green bar that scans across the Address Bar when trying to open a specific location in Explorer. On both drives, only sometimes, not always. I don't know what it's doing? That's one of the things I'm asking!

And for Byron Tarbox:

Hooking up a Clone as Mirror really makes a lot of sense. Since 99.9% of problems will be software screw-ups... then you have Two copies of it! Just great. I've been running with 2 bootable disks of XP since there was XP and it works very well thank you. And it works very well in Windows 7 too (with one exceptional difference). If anything updating is too frequent but certainly not continuous. It's all manual as required, determined by me. There are several levels, daily minor data updates, application updates, and whole disk updates. The daily minor & whole disk are best accommodated with SyncBackSE. If you're into the necessary modes, the daily stuff is simple Date & Time and File Size on specific collected data locations. The whole disk gets complicated with the Volume Shadow Copy Service and Ignoring NTFS Permissions and touching up the destination MountedDevices to swap Drive Letter & Volume Label Assignments between Source & Destination. I just prefer to use an old out of support Delphi app DCopy (the Germans have Incremental & Differential confused) for individual applications. Certainly no power house but simple small script creation. You figure out what works for you and I'll figure out what works for me. But the point is it works. There's just something Wonderful about having 2 of everything online. Or... you can rely on somebody else's idea of what constitutes a way to recover (System Restore)? Personally I recommend completely forgetting the word Recovery and learning a new one, Cloning. Internally installed the original or clone boot on demand. On the cheaper Windows 7 laptop unfortunately (so far) the cloned drive must be physically swapped in to boot.

And... since Removing the Indexing on the D: drive (clone), it hasn't had any more of those up to 1 minute delays before copying. Or, I'm convinced at least Windows was busy Re-Index (whatever that is)? That thing has gotten right snappy now. You could maybe explain what it is doing? Indexing, Search Indexing, taking notes for Mama?

DES

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, you are there and we are not...we can only give you general info pertaining to the types of problems there may be and how to solve them and best practices for the widest range of possible situations.

Hooking up a Clone as Mirror really makes a lot of sense
    RAID 1 is mirroring and though that is a good method for hard drive failure replacement, it fails in the software screw-up department and off-site backup, both in the case of disasterous events beyond a simple hard drive failure. I don't know if perhaps you are mixing terminology a little with mirror, clone and syncronization? Its ok to customize your procedures but you should also be aware of other events that can precipitate data loss or corruption. For all we know you also make allowances for those possibilities as well since as I said, we are not there, and you soon won't get much help if you are really defensive with responses.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I lied about the Indexing being the problem. First reading more slowly, that's "Allow files on this drive to have the contents indexed in addition to file properties". That's really clear? And whatever it's doing ("Processing") requires doing it to Every file on the drive (it can access). In the middle of the night it occurred to me perhaps I'd made Everything different on the two drives? Then this morning the sucker did it's 1 minute delay again anyway? So I put it back the way it was (another Long every file access endeavor) and then ran a Simulated Backup between the 2 in SyncBackSE. Which BTW has been updated in the mean time and now does the Scanning of the 2 drives in the time, about 1 minute per the 90,000 directory entries each (they're getting there on Windows 7). Especially since the internal drive is 5400 RPM. The external is 7200 RPM but connected USB. I should swap in the 7200 RPM permanently and pick up a little speed. Anyway, only 575 files were different, to be copied or deleted, typical of about a week's normal operation with no updates or anything, so I hadn't screwed anything up. But this mysterious seemingly random out to lunch period on the USB connected drive still exists. It's just annoying. I should be grateful for small mercies that it's recognized for what it is and generally works well. The coup de grace would be booting & running on it.

DES

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You mentioned an external drive and Windows Media player. I had a nasty time because the WMP always wanted to sync with the external drive (I was using Sandisk "memory sticks"). There didn't seem to be any way to stop the sync attempts. I wandered around about and came up with a solution to "turn off syncing to portable devices" -
    Turning off the Portable Device Enumerator Service solved my problem.

I found out about it at some forum or another, I have tried about 10 different forums.

Follow these steps to disable the service.

1. Click start and type services.msc in the start search box and press enter.

2. Scroll down the list and select the service.

3. Right click on the service and choose the option properties.

4. You may change the startup type to disable or the service status to stop.

Many thanks to Bindu R for the turnoff information.

I ran across identical "symptoms" in both Vista and Windows 7. I turned off the Portable Device Enumerator Service in both Vista and Windows 7 and all the attempts to sync went away.
    Good Luck!!
    ed

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbamaguy View Post
    You mentioned an external drive and Windows Media player. I had a nasty time because the WMP always wanted to sync with the external drive (I was using Sandisk "memory sticks"). There didn't seem to be any way to stop the sync attempts. I wandered around about and came up with a solution to "turn off syncing to portable devices" -
    Turning off the Portable Device Enumerator Service solved my problem.

I found out about it at some forum or another, I have tried about 10 different forums.

Follow these steps to disable the service.

1. Click start and type services.msc in the start search box and press enter.

2. Scroll down the list and select the service.

3. Right click on the service and choose the option properties.

4. You may change the startup type to disable or the service status to stop.

Many thanks to Bindu R for the turnoff information.

I ran across identical "symptoms" in both Vista and Windows 7. I turned off the Portable Device Enumerator Service in both Vista and Windows 7 and all the attempts to sync went away.
    Good Luck!!
    ed

Haven't run into that one yet but I'll keep it in mind. In my case since I have 2 copies of the system connected, WMP is showing the media & playlists from both disks. Guess you could say the USB connected drive is already Synced! Apparently any location included in the Library is independent of the drive letter it's located on? WMP is going to search & find what it can I guess, irregardless of your wishes? I find this behavior hardly for my benefit. I choose to organize my stuff myself thank you, know where it is and neither what or need the "System's" help!

DES