2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WOODY'S WINDOWS

New names, new threats from fake security apps

ByWoody Leonhard

Malicious applications posing as antivirus software are not new, but they're more common than ever — and more sophisticated.

They pop up on your screen, warning you that your system is infected with all kinds of

viruses. It's true, your PC is infected — but the infection is the warning, itself.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/03/18/06 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-20 at 15:57.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Once again Microsoft makes it ridiculously complicated to use the services they offer. After reading the article, I decided to try Windows Live OneCare online safety scanner, but I don't have the time or inclination to pursue it when other options are available without the roadblocks. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and Firefox is my default browser. When I went to the OneCare site, first it told me "We're sorry. This version of the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner doesn't work with your Web browser or operating system." After I opened IE8 to the site, the scanner program still wouldn't install, even after I clicked the link for the Windows 7 version, then gave permission for pop-ups and turned off the protected mode. Each time the website said "We were unable to install the scanner. Please follow the instructions for each troubleshooting step below and then click Retry Installation to try to install the scanner again." The full extent of their "instructions" was a button that says "Retry installation". BTW, when I opened the default window in Internet Explorer, there was a tiny link with "special instructions" for running the scanner using Firefox. How very clever that the same link in Firefox did not make this information available! After failing to get anywhere up to this point, I'll stick with the security programs I already run. I don't feel like playing games with Microsoft this morning!

Thanks
    One Care Live never upgraded to 64-bit compatibility. Sorry. Try Trend Micro House Call.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think windows live one care is no longer available for use. The Best thing from Microsoft I ever used is Microsoft Security Essentials. This can make your life more easier than ever. I am using this thing and feeling no pressure from any virus or any other malware. I suggest to use this tool for security.