New Lounger
    Thanks
    Swift, I am not.

I need someone to explain in small words just what the (censored) I' am doing wrong in Briefcase. (WIN XP Pro)

Office 2003:

Precis: I have a series of files in folders that I want to work on both on a removable USB drive (F:/) as well as in the
    desktop (C:/).

I set up briefcase and have copied the files from C: to F: several times but of seven folders, I continue to show four of them
    as "orphans". The three that show as updatable do so quite nicely, but I'll be dam... darned if I can figure out how to get the other
    four folders (as well as three more I want to have "briefcased") to recognize one another.

Obviously, what i REALLY want is a backup system which will do incremental backups, but I've bought Acronis TI and it screws up
    my Sequel server to the point that I cannot access any of the databases from my remote computers (we have six) at all. I am
    hesitant to try any other backup systems for this reason and thought briefcase would be an ideal solution..... apparently not.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Use small words.

Thanks
    Jeepers - I haven't even see the briefcase for quite a few years!
    Would you like me to move this to the Security and Backups forum?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Anywhere you think it best located.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by libtax View Post
    Obviously, what i REALLY want is a backup system which will do incremental backups, but I've bought Acronis TI and it screws up
    my Sequel server to the point that I cannot access any of the databases from my remote computers (we have six) at all. I am
    hesitant to try any other backup systems for this reason and thought briefcase would be an ideal solution..... apparently not.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Use small words.
    I'm sorry to hear that Acronis did not work as a solution. I guess I should be glad I don't use SQL Server.

I know of two programs that may help you synchronize files in multiple locations. One is Karen Kenworthy's Replicator, and the other is Microsoft's SyncToy. Here is some detailed guidance on setting up SyncToy.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Thanks
    Acronis True Image is not a server program. If you are running a true network with a real server anywhere on the system, you need an Enterprise or Business class solution. Acronis has one, but in my opinion, Paragon or Symantec would be better choices in the business class realm. Servers do indeed present special backup and recovery issues.
    -- Bob Primak --

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using the licensed version of sequel or the free one? If you have the paid version, the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio can schedule and drop a backup for you at a location you can pick up with your backup software. (I am not sure what the express version has but you could always right an OSQL statement and run it with task manager to do the same thing.) If you are doing incremental backups this does not work so well as each of these looks like a complete new file to the backup program. You will never get a regular backup program without an SQL agent to work unless you always shut down the database before you do the backup as the files are locked while in use.

Here is a link to something like what I am talking about;

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...osql-back.aspx

I would really not recommend briefcase as a backup program. I think even the built in windows backup would be better.