Thanks
    I recently somehow fried a motherboard (three burst capacitors). After I upgraded the motherboard, processor, video card, and memory, I tried to install Windows XP professional to the drive I had designated as the C: drive. The Windows XP interface said that the drive would have to be formatted. Since I had everything on that drive, I designated my backup drive as the master. Windows installed, and the computer runs.

I can't find my Outlook.pst files on the old drive. I had a lot of archived emails with contact info, jokes, and other info that I want to get back. There is a "Help Assistant" folder on the other drive, but when I search, there is no .pst file. I had a lot of archived folders, so there should be .pst files for each of them.

I had already upgraded to Outlook 2007 before I had the motherboard crash. Up until my upgrade I was using Outlook 2003. Does my issue have more to do with upgraded software, or am I not doing a correct search?

Please help. This is driving me wacky.

David Garnett

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    In XP, the default location for a .pst file for Office 2007 is C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

Joe

Joe

Thanks
    If you don't find your pst file there, download and install Search Everything. Its much faster and more complete that Windows search after compiling the initail database. Just plug *.pst into the search bar to find all the pst files on your computer.

Thanks
    I realize that the default location would be in the Local Settings\application Data folder, but that folder disappeared when I installed XP on the new drive. I'll try the Search Everything utility.

Thanks
    My C:\Documents and Settings\username folder says "Access Denied." Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzman View Post
    My C:\Documents and Settings\username folder says "Access Denied." Any ideas?
    See if How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP helps.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I tried, but the Local Settings folder just doesn't exist under David Garnett

Thanks
    Did you enable show hidden files and uncheck hide protected operating system files in the Control Panel Folder Options View tab?

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I was very sorry to hear about your blasted computer.

To search for *.pst (or any other files) I recommend a free desktop search program such as

Copernic Desktop Search or Google Desktop or the free file manager Free Commander

In future I suggest you back up your *.pst files on a regular basis, preferably to a different drive or location, using

MS Personal Files Backup

Thanks
    I tried unhiding folders and files. I will be backing up my .pst files from now on. I for some strange reason thought it would never happen to me. Burst capacitors - EEEEK

Administrator
    Thanks
    I tried unhiding folders and files. I will be backing up my .pst files from now on. I for some strange reason thought it would never happen to me.
    Did you take ownership of the folders on the old disk drive?

Did you double check to make sure that is where you looked for the .pst.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Burst capacitors.
    Frying a mobo does not remove files from a hard drive. (Frying a hard drive, however...once was too many times for me.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Why are you searching the C drive for something that is now on another drive? As I understand it, C is the new drive, and what was formerly the C drive, which is the drive with all the data you are looking for, must now have a different drive letter. (If you have a DVD drive, that probably was and still is D.)

Oops, my apology. I see that Joe made the same point in a more considered (and briefer) way.