New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all, and let me thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I recently bought a dual band N router (D-Link DGL-4500). I also have a Linksys WRT54G, a G router. I have both N and G machines in my house, so I'm unable to take advantage of the N speed because I need to have the router set to G to be compatible across the board (the D-Link won't do N and G simultaneously). Is there a way that I could set the D-Link up for N coverage, wire the Linksys into the D-Link via ethernet cable, and then set the Linksys up for G coverage? What I'm looking to accomplish is to have both N and G signals available at the same time. Thoughts?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Just hook them together with an Ethernet cable. You must use the Ethernet ports, not the WAN port.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow. Thanks Paul. I wouldn't have thought it would be that easy. Thanks again!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It's worth getting as much distance between the routers as possible to prevent interference.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure that DHCP server is only running on one of the units, also go into the wireless settings and set one to channel 1 and the other to channel 11 (If you are in the US other countries have more/different channels) . This channel spread should eliminate any interference between the two devices.

I would set two different ssid's on these units and connect the N machines to the N wireless network and the G machines to the G network. If you set the ssid's the same and us the same password for both N and G networks, the machines will switch to whichever signal is stronger. This will put your N machines on the G network if the signal is stronger and you will lose the speed advantage of the N network.

Some machines will allow you to connect only as N or G, however, if you have your machine set to connect as N only and you go to a Wifi hotspot somewhere else that only has G, you will not be able to connect.