Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this maybe isn't the best place to ask this question, but here goes... does Quicken have any competition? I've been using Quicken for many years and I upgrade to a newer version occasionally in spite of the fact that the version I am using does everything I want. I don't like to upgrade because the later version always adds new characteristics that I don't like and don't use and don't want. I've recently been notified that my Quicken 2007 will no longer be able to retrieve stock prices after a date in April. My requirements are pretty simple so I'm wondering if there are any alternatives out there.

Is there a better place to ask this question?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    This question probably should be moved to the "Other Software" forum. (Any moderator can do that if there is agreement.)

Historically, the main competitor to Quicken was Microsoft Money. I don't know whether that still is sold. In recent years, I think online competitors have sprung up; this assumes you are comfortable with having your data live in the internet cloud.

With respect to cost, some financial institutions have given away Quicken (or other personal finance software) or offered it at a discount.

4. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, Other Software probably would be a better forum. Thanks for the info. I don't think I want to put it all on the web. Quicken has a special price right now that will last only a couple more days and I may have to just go ahead and take it.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    I know this maybe isn't the best place to ask this question, but here goes... does Quicken have any competition? I've been using Quicken for many years and I upgrade to a newer version occasionally in spite of the fact that the version I am using does everything I want. I don't like to upgrade because the later version always adds new characteristics that I don't like and don't use and don't want. I've recently been notified that my Quicken 2007 will no longer be able to retrieve stock prices after a date in April. My requirements are pretty simple so I'm wondering if there are any alternatives out there.

Is there a better place to ask this question?

Thanks,
    Bill
    I'm using Quicken Deluxe 2008 with Win 7. Seems to work very well. Yes, options sometimes change with new additions, and more options are added, but you do not have to use all the new options. Just use the ones you have used in the past. I use perhaps 25% of the options on my version and I'm perfectly happy to do so. With their discounts for users of earlier versions, Quicken is not terribly expensive and later versions have incorporated better security as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

6. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I'm glad to hear that the 2008 version didn't force you into anything new that you didn't want. For a really long time, with my 2007 version, I had to click a No button every time I opened it to say that I did not want to sign up for an online account. That prompt has finally stopped popping up but I imagine it will start again after I upgrade. That's the kind of thing that bugs me the most. I'll upgrade later today or tomorrow while the special price is available and see how it goes.

Bill

7. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used Moneydance for several years now. It does everything I required of Quicken, is less expensive, and is cross-platform.

I was getting quite tired of the bloat in Quicken. I'd used it for years, and even participated in one panel study at Intuit's Menlo Park office. Intuit lost me when they left me hanging on their TurboTax "error free" guarantee. They knew there was a bug in their web product but didn't tell the users. Their customer "service" ran me around for a year: the first number they gave me was that of the IRS, as if they would make good on Intuit's guarantee. Finally they told me to call sometime when I had two or three hours to go through my return, line by line (for a known bug), with one of their reps. I swore off Intuit entirely at that point.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Davis View Post
    I've used Moneydance for several years now. It does everything I required of Quicken, is less expensive, and is cross-platform.

I was getting quite tired of the bloat in Quicken. I'd used it for years, and even participated in one panel study at Intuit's Menlo Park office. Intuit lost me when they left me hanging on their TurboTax "error free" guarantee. They knew there was a bug in their web product but didn't tell the users. Their customer "service" ran me around for a year: the first number they gave me was that of the IRS, as if they would make good on Intuit's guarantee. Finally they told me to call sometime when I had two or three hours to go through my return, line by line (for a known bug), with one of their reps. I swore off Intuit entirely at that point.
    Does MoneyDance allow you to install it at least on both your desktop and laptop or is it like Quicken--one computer, one copy?

Having read on their web site, it does seem that I'd have to get 2 licenses if I want have it available on both my computers.

9. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not try GnuCash before spending money on Quicken?

I've worked in and out of an accounting office for years, and while they use several different accounting programs, including some that are designed especially for terminal server environments, GnuCash does everything most People need and want in accounting software. The office has to have different versions of Quicken installed, and after while, the cost of licenses, and the incessant prompting to upgrade overwhelm the normal user.

Always use Free and OpenSource Software when you have the chance!

10. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another vote for Moneydance. As to the licensing for users/computers, from their website:

"We have a somewhat simple formula that we like for our users to follow in determining how many licenses they need. Take the number of people using Moneydance and the number of computers no matter the operating system on which it is being used. Choose the lower of the two numbers and that's how many licenses to purchase. I.E. you can either a) use it on as many computers as you like, or b) have as many people as you like use it on one computer.

For the purposes of our license, couples count as a single person.
    "

Kevin

11. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    This question probably should be moved to the "Other Software" forum. (Any moderator can do that if there is agreement.)

Historically, the main competitor to Quicken was Microsoft Money. I don't know whether that still is sold. In recent years, I think online competitors have sprung up; this assumes you are comfortable with having your data live in the internet cloud.

With respect to cost, some financial institutions have given away Quicken (or other personal finance software) or offered it at a discount.
    Why upgrade if what you are using works.
    I'm still using MS Money 2002 - it works on vista and Win7

12. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ankeny View Post
    [...]
    I used Microsoft Money years ago before I switched to GnuCash myself. It does everything I need to keep the finances for my family on track and also has a business feature that allows me to keep track of small consulting projects I'm working on occasionally. In addition, I can use it on either Linux or Windows.

I would definitely take a look at GnuCash if you're looking for an alternative to Quicken.

13. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ankeny View Post

I've worked in and out of an accounting office for years, and while they use several different accounting programs, including some that are designed especially for terminal server environments, GnuCash does everything most People need and want in accounting software. The office has to have different versions of Quicken installed, and after while, the cost of licenses, and the incessant prompting to upgrade overwhelm the normal user.

Always use Free and OpenSource Software when you have the chance!
    I used GnuCash for a couple years (after having used MS Money). When I was presented with an offer for 1/2-price Quicken 2010, I took it - and am using it. But, so far, I don't like it any more than GnuCash. (Both have plusses and minuses.) So, I should have saved my money and stayed with GnuCash. The biggest advantage - for me, with Quicken is the abillity to download data from all my bank, credit card and retirement accounts. The biggest advantage for GnuCash for me was the ability to easily search for a particular account entry.

14. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lord View Post
    I used GnuCash for a couple years (after having used MS Money). When I was presented with an offer for 1/2-price Quicken 2010, I took it - and am using it. But, so far, I don't like it any more than GnuCash. (Both have plusses and minuses.) So, I should have saved my money and stayed with GnuCash. The biggest advantage - for me, with Quicken is the abillity to download data from all my bank, credit card and retirement accounts. The biggest advantage for GnuCash for me was the ability to easily search for a particular account entry.
    I am surprised one of your disappointments regarding Quicken was the ability to easily search for a particular entry. This is one of Quicken's strong points, as in the top right-hand corner of any Quicken screen is the universal search box and you can type in any aspect of the transaction. For example, you need to find all entries for 39.99. Just type that into the search dialog and all entries -- checks, credit cards, investment transactions -- will be presented. Or type in any part of the Payee name or memo field and Quicken will find it.

15. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Quicken 8, which I had to buy because there was a known bug in the old edition I was using and Quicken refused to patch it. Not very good customer relations considering I have used Quicken for over 20 years. Also no discount to upgrade! Quicken 8 will no longer be supported next year, which means another upgrade, yet Quicken 8 is inferior to previous editions. I use it mainly to track my investments. The effort I now have to exert to enter a simple transaction is ridiculous.... 10 strokes when I only used 1 before. All Intuit say is that they have dumbed it down for the newest user. There are always at least 2 symbols in my portfolio that they are unable to provide information for, yet the information is readily available from other sites.
    So, my question is, is there another way to download my investments other than using Money or Quicken?

16. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nthing GnuCash

I used Quicken for years, but I switched to GnuCash and will never switch back.

For what its worth, GnuCash also runs as a portable app.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast