Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Windows Virtual PC (in which XP mode runs) no longer requires hardware virtualization on a Windows 7 machine. See Windows Virtual PC: FAQ. See Download Windows XP Mode for download instructions.

Joe

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is great news. Thanks for posting it!
    Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder how though since I just set up XP mode on an HP system not more than 45 minutes ago and I got the error window that I needed to go into the BIOS and find the virtualization setting and enable it before it could run. Found it, enabled it and then it initialized and started. Maybe its a versioning thing and I got an older version?

Or maybe there's a distinction between hardware virtualization in the BIOS and CPU virtualization support?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    I wonder how though since I just set up XP mode on an HP system not more than 45 minutes ago and I got the error window that I needed to go into the BIOS and find the virtualization setting and enable it before it could run. Found it, enabled it and then it initialized and started. Maybe its a versioning thing and I got an older version?

Or maybe there's a distinction between hardware virtualization in the BIOS and CPU virtualization support?
    Go to the linked download page. There is patch that must be applied.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    With the help of The Computer Geek, I managed to install XP in my Windows 7 machine without hardware visualization, which HP told me wouldn't work on my computer. After printing out all 12 pages the Geek's instructions, I got it all right. On reboot, I found on the desktop a shortcut to XP mode; clicking on that got me an XP window, in which any program I chose to install would run. It did not have access to Program Files (x86) or any of my data files, but I'm still working on that. Since my scanner works only under XP, I have high hopes that I'll be able to scan images directly into my desktop computer instead of having to do it via my XP-using laptop. Thanks, Microsoft, for making this possible.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a critical app (software development) that requires a dongle on the printer port and won't run under any Windows version later than XP.

Anyone think it's going to run under Win7 virtualizaion? Or anyone actually have experience with old dongles under Win7 virtualization?

tia -

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using WinFax for at least 15 years and was disappointed that it wouldn't even install in Windows 7.

It works great in XP Mode with only one annoyance: I have to attach the USB modem each time I enter XP Mode.

At least I was able to get all of my WinFax settings, phone books, attachments and old faxes so I don't mind that one requirement.

While I was composing this message I realized that I could run the WinFax message manager virtually without going to XP Mode, so I tried running it.

It ran OK, but I still have the problem of the USB modem not being connected, and without the XP Mode menu I can't attach it.

I think that if the modem was a serial device it might work, because the configuration app let me test COM1 and COM2 which are both identified by name as my USB modem and both show as "not connected.".

Anyone have any idea how I could fix it so that the modem stays recognized?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob,
    I too have used WinFax for years, I now have been useing Faxtalk Messenger pro 7.5 for several years, it works fine with Windows 7 I use it for my business calls.
    Fred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had a problem since installing 7/64. Actually the problem slipped right by me as I kept XP Pro until the 3rd Service Pack choked the living excrement out of the OS and I had to abandon it and go to 7Beta. You see, the problem is that I use a Palm Treo 700p...which Palm stopped writing drivers for beginning with Vista. Without that driver, my computer never recognizes the Hotsync software under 7/64.

Then I heard about Virtualization, so I installed the virtual disk, then the winXP module under that. Reinstalled the Palm Desktop under the module...

But the device remained unrecognized.

Now, there is some virtualization change. I downloaded the 'fixpaklette' and installed it. Does this sound like the problem that this fixpak is supposed to fix? Because I don't have time to reinstall and just found your link, etc. If anyone else has had a similar problem and fixed it, this is under the Palm software, not Windows software version for Palm, please post and I'm following the thread. Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This Windows XP mode sounds interesting! I have a new computer loaded with Windows 7 64-bit. My plan has been to install Windows XP Pro 32-bit as a dual boot to allow me to use my Visioneer Strobe Pro sheetfed scanner (USB connected). I have procrastinated since most advice I have gotten is to set up Win XP first, then load Win 7 on another partition (in my case a second drive as well). I figured that XP mode only meant software emulator, but maybe I am wrong. Can this really work for hardware virtualization where I assume you would be able to load Win XP drivers? Does the fact that I have 64-bit Win 7 kill this plan? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have downloaded and installed the files for XP mode for my win 7 ultimate machine and it works greatr What would happen if I installed these same files on my Home Premium machine? Would it work? Would I brick my machine? Would XP mode even work on my home premium machine? I am very curious!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Harlan View Post
    I have downloaded and installed the files for XP mode for my win 7 ultimate machine and it works greatr What would happen if I installed these same files on my Home Premium machine? Would it work? Would I brick my machine? Would XP mode even work on my home premium machine? I am very curious!
    XP Mode does not work on Home Premium. XP Mode requires Professional or Ultimate/Enterprise.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Would it work? Would I brick my machine? Would XP mode even work on my home premium machine?
    There might be a way to take the VHD and run it in VMPlayer or VirtualBox on a Windows 7HP system and then again, it may be too customized to run in any other virtual platform.