2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    My Dell XP laptop came with an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200 b/g internal adapter preinstalled with its own software, which has always worked quite well. Recently, shortly after some problems with my wireless provider (their tower had some serious problems, and about 80 plus customers were affected), I have begun having problems loading some sites and maintaining connection.

Usually, I'll start surfing and everything seems fine. Then a site will start to load and hang, about half loaded, and things grind to a crawl. Sometimes, it will finish and sometimes not. And, it seems to then affect other sites I try to load. I can't be certain it's the connection. It could be coming from my ZoneAlarm firewall, my isp, or the Windows privacy site blocker too.

I would like to try an external TP-Link high gain USB adapter, to see if the same problems crop up with a different adapter. I did update java and my Intel wireless adapter's driver already. If I disable the Intel Pro, and install the USB adapter, will this risk the setup of my internal adapter, which I still want to use?

In doing some forum searches, I'm not finding anything about having both types installed, but I am finding this type of comments:
    "Some computer and hardware manufacturers provide their own configuration software that replaces the Wireless Zero Configuration service that is provided in Windows. In that case, you must use the software that is provided by the manufacturer to configure your wireless network. If you want to use the Wireless Network Setup Wizard or the View Available Wireless Networks feature to configure your wireless device, see the documentation that came with your computer or with your wireless network card. Use this documentation to determine whether you can use the Wireless Zero Configuration service to configure your wireless network. Sometimes, you cannot use the Windows functionality."

Can someone tell me if I'm getting into a bad area to install this additional adapter, and/or maybe point me in the right direction? I know just enough about this to get myself in trouble. Thanks. Judy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If you disable your internal wireless port using Device Manager you can install the USB adapter.
    Don't try to use both at once, you'll confuse everything and everyone. ;-))

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, P T.
    I'm already confused.

I took my laptop to a T1 connection this afternoon and it did the same there, so I'm pretty sure my home connection isn't the problem.

My Intel ProWireless has it's own program which will disable the internal adapter. Do I also need to do so in Device Mgr? Judy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, PT.
    I think I figured out what was causing my problem. I found on the AVG forums that an update on March 12th was causing the same symptoms for someone else, so I removed it and seem to be cruising right along with MSSE. Must not have been a wireless issue after all.

However, I will still try the high gain USB adapter to see if it's an improvement over my internal wireless adapter. Judy