New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an HP Paviillion running Windows 7 Ultimate. It is connected via cat 5 to a Dlink 655 router. Wireless nic on HP is disabled. Also connected to router is my HP Laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate), Dell Inspiron Laptop (XP - SP2) and HP Netbook (Windows 7 Premium).

Since Sunday, March 16, every afternoon, around 1:30 on MT, my HP Pavillion loses access to the internet. More specifically, all DNS fail. I can still ping / access all other pc's on the LAN and on the internet if done by IP. This only happens to my Pavillion - no problem with the other PCs. Rebooting seems to be the only cure to the situation.

* An "ipconfig /release - ipconfig /renew" does not solve the problem.
    * Logging off and back on does not solve the problem.
    * I had my Pavillion referencing OpenDNS for DNS references. I have tried using 4.2.2.2 and the relay through my router (192.168.1.1) to my ISP's dns servers - to no avail.
    * I have examined the task scheduler for something / anything that might regularly at that time of day. Nothing
    * I have examined the event log for funky messages - nothing.
    * I have examined my router's logs - nothing
    * FWIW, i am routinely connected (and have been for years) via RDP from my Pavillion to my HP Laptop. This connection stays solid, and as noted, my laptop does not lose access to net.
    * I did a system restore back to Sunday morning, March 16. This was just prior to a Windows update. Did no good. (BTW, same update had been applied to laptop and netbook with no ill effects.
    * An ipconfig /all looks "normal".

I am at a loss.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Something may be blocking port 53 (DNS). Does turning off the firewall (for 5 minutes) help?
    Try nslookup google.com and see if you get a response from the DNS server.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, something worth trying. Though why it happens only once a day - actually a little less than every 24 hours. First time, it seem more like 3:30 and today around 12:30. yesterday about 12:15.

Just looked at the firewall, a mess to look at, but nothing obvious blocking dns. I will let you know after tomorrow's episode.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a built in outbound rule in the Windows 7 Firewall allowing for UDP connections to Port 53 (DNS) for \windows\system32\svchost.exe. This, I gather is the windows process that does many low level IP functions. I added two new outbond rules, one for UDP and one for TCP allowing all programs access to Port 53. I have not had the problem recur in several days now.