Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to replace Office 97 Pro SR-2 with Office 2007 Home and Student. I'm running on WinXP SP3.

I've researched the procedure for uninstalling Office 97 and it looks like a complete nightmare fraught with potential for screwing up my PC. I've also read that when you install Office 2007 it will uninstall Office 97 although I have not found testimonials from anyone who actually has done this.

When I install Office 2007 will it uninstall Office 97?

If not, what happens?

Does it install Office 2007 which then coexists peacefully with Office 97?

Does Office 97 become disabled?

What would you do if you wanted to replace Office 97 with Office 2007?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Frankly, I would either buy a new PC to run Office 2007, or I would install Virtual PC, and install Office 2007 in the virtual PC. But neither of those may be acceptable to you. The other alternative is to install Office 2007 without uninstalling Office 97 - see This post for suggestions on how to do a dual install. There are issues however, as you can only have one version of Outlook running, and that would be Outlook 2007 since it was installed last.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    Frankly, I would either buy a new PC to run Office 2007, or I would install Virtual PC, and install Office 2007 in the virtual PC. But neither of those may be acceptable to you.
    Yikes! A pox on MS for leaving the Office 97 uninstall process in such a mess. You are right. Buying a new PC to avoid this mess is not acceptable. However, I do plan to upgrade the box to Win7 on a new hard drive at some point in the near future, so perhaps I should just wait until then to install Office 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    The other alternative is to install Office 2007 without uninstalling Office 97 - see This post for suggestions on how to do a dual install. There are issues however, as you can only have one version of Outlook running, and that would be Outlook 2007 since it was installed last.
    A dual install is sort of where I was headed and what I was asking about since the Office 97 uninstall process leaves me queasy. If the issues with dual install have to do only with Outlook then I have no problem because I did not install Outlook 97 and Home and Office 2007 does not have Outlook.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks
    Would a 3rd party uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller work better to remove the Office 97 setup? Revo has been marvelous for uninstalling all kinds of problem S/W. Perhaps it would also work wonders on Office 97. It has been such a long time since Office 97, I honestly do not remember the uninstall I used, if any. This may have occurred during an OS clean install. Sorry I can't be more informative.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What is your problem uninstalling Office 97? Just run Uninstall from the Control Panel | Add/Remove programs.

Installing Office 2007 will also uninstall Office 97, but you are given the option to retain or replace O97 during the install. However, I recommend uninstalling O97 first anyway. All your user files and templates are still retained during the upgrade.

But why would you want to keep O97?

Terry