Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been helping a friend set up a new Windows 7 PC. He has an old HP Officejet 6210 that he has used for years under XP mainly as a scanner, using the HP supplied scanning software.
    He has the old HP software CD.

We were quickly able to locate and install the Win 7 printer driver via the HP site and the device will now print.
    But if one selects Windows 7 as the OS no updated scanner software is offered.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...product=421991
    (The software update utility on that page was no help.)

If one looks at what is available for XP there is the full scanner package (426 MB), presumably much the same as on the CD we have.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...product=421991

However when we try to run the CD we find it will not install on a Win 7 system.

I did not have time on my last visit to look closely at the CD in the hope of finding a distinct scanner installation package. Just letting the CD run automatically leads only to the full installation, which fails. There is no option to just install the scanner package.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem with older HP software? Not just with drivers; but with the associated application software?
    I know about the various categories of support HP offer for older devices under Win 7. But this is a case of HP just not saying anything about the extra software.

Unless anyone has better ideas, my options on my next visit are:
    - download the scanner software from the XP page and try it - possibly using XP or Vista compatibility options on Win 7.
    - examine the CD more closely looking for a way in to run just the scanner software
    - try running the whole CD using XP (or possibly Vista) compatibility options. I may then have to reinstall the Win 7 print drivers (and I have noted the problems some people have had when trying to install new HP drivers over old).

Any ideas, anyone?

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think you are probably out of luck. There was a big change in driver architecture between XP & Vista. Win7 uses the same driver architecture as Vista. You can try to get the XP drivers running but that will most likely not work. If decide to try, run the installer in compatability mode. You have better luck with the Vista software - Select software and drivers HP Officejet 6210 All-in-One Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English). If the Vista software works you may need the patch at Select software and drivers HP Officejet 6210 All-in-One Printer - HP technical support (United Kingdom - English).

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suppose its Win7 Home Premium? This idea wont work on Home or Basic, but Pro and Ultimate have the XP Mode virtualization capability so one could install that and then install and use the printer/scanner via XP mode.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Try Hamrick's "VueScan" (www.hamrick.com) it really worked for me on an old Epson scanner that I would have otherwise had to replace

John Chinook