New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if my problem may be a Windows 7 issue or not.

Thanks in advance for any direction you are able to provide.

I purchased a new Dell XPS Studio 16 laptop with Windows 7 64bit in December 2009. The computer came with a Bluetooth card. In January, I started using a Dell Bluetooth mouse (made by Logitech) and shortly thereafter the computer started to experience one or more “freezes” per day, which could only be corrected by powering down with the power button and restarting. Thinking it must be the mouse or mouse software, I used a wired USB mouse. The problem continued. Working with Dell support and after running hardware diagnostics, Dell diagnosed the problem as USB related and replaced the motherboard and the Bluetooth card, which apparently has a USB interface. The latest drivers for both the mouse and Bluetooth card are installed. The problem of freezing one to multiple times per day continued with both the Bluetooth and wired mice. The hardware diagnostics, which had previously identified the USB problem, do not show any hardware issues at this time. Dell has suggested that it is a software problem and wants to reload the system to the original pristine state. I am unable to isolate the freezes to a specific program or set of programs I have loaded. Before I spend significant time with reloading the system and reinstalling software with no assurance that the problem will be corrected, are there other diagnostic activities I can perform to isolate the problem or at least narrow it down?

Thanks
    Get memtest86 and run it overnight.

Memory can be very sneaky, you'd do well to try and rule this out.

I've just recently, again started having freeze-ups with the only resolution being a reset.
    Ran memtest with errors detected, this is after replacing some RAM I had earlier problems with.
    These latest problems came out of the blue and I haven't had the time to fully track them down yet.

In the mean time I've clocked them down to 533 MHz with thus far, no freeze-ups.
    So my advice is to run a memory test in advanced mode for at least overnight and check the logs over.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm very interested in the results of that Memtest. Please post it here.

I had very similar problems - with a Dell Studio 14z purchased in December 2009.

But, for me, diagnostics was showing a SMART (disk drive) error. (I could not find a description of the error via Google, nor on the Western Digital site.)

[Here's the error message I was seeing: "The scan failed with the following error: StatusUndefined - The SMART status information indicates status code 004Fh. ; StatusUndefined - The SMART status information indicates status code 0000h. Rerun the scan, and if it fails again, use the button to contact Dell."]

Anyway, Dell wanted me to wipe the HD and reinstall also, but I decided NOT to do that. After about 6 weeks, I contacted Dell again. This time, they decided to send out a new hard drive.

So, I backed up all my data from the old drive, installed the new drive, reinstalled programs, copied data back, etc. BUT, in the process I broke two very small and delicate latches which connect cables from the keyboard to the main board.

So, Dell sent out a new keyboard, but that wasn't any help since the keyboard did not include the broken latches which needed to be replaced.

So, Dell sent out a technician to replace my main board (that was the only way to get the latches back!).

But, after the tech. left and the computer had been running for about 30 minutes, it shut down. It did this repeatedly. I guessed something was overheating.

I called Dell back (actually chatted with them on their support site), and they sent the technician back out.... He had forgotten to attach the power to the CPU-cooling fan - or else it came loose when he was reassembling the computer. So, he reattached the power and put it all back together.

That was yesterday, so far the computer has not had any problems freezing up, although it hasn't been used a lot yet.

Personally, I don't think it was the hard drive that was causing the problem. I'm guessing the "new" main (aka, motherboard) fixed the problem. Although, it wasn't a "new" main board, but a refurbished one, which is a bit disappointing since I paid for a new computer and now have a refurbished part in it. Perhaps the "refurbish" was to fix the problem which caused it to freeze!? (BTW, I have the same RAM now I had before, EXCEPT that there is 1GB of RAM permanently attached to the main board - and perhaps that RAM was bad.)

Dan

Thanks
    Setting the taskbar to not auto-hide resolved this issue. It's not a perfect solution since I prefer to hide the taskbar but at least there hasn't been any freezes after I tried this (it's been a week now).Hope this helps.
    Or you can open your favorite media player & listen to a web radio station,then turn down the volume or put it on mute.I personal prefer the latter.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just for your information, we are having the same problem with three Dell Studio XPS 1645 laptops (Intel I7-720 processor, 6GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive) with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. These laptops were received in early February. One laptop is more problematic than the other two. All three laptops came with McAfee Security Suite 36 month subscriptions and Microsoft Office Home & Student 2007.

We have installed the 2 BIOS updates which were recommended by Dell. They were A06 (2/2/10) and A08 (3/13/10). Upon reviewing the Device Manager, all the other drivers were current.

We installed Firefox 3.6 to resolved the 1st set of freezes (hangs/locks up) which required powering off. These freezes only occurred while Internet Explorer 8.0 (32 bit) was running. As I said, running Firefox seemed to resolve these problems. (Note: an earlier Google search had indicated that Windows 7 64-bit, Internet Explorer 8.0 32-bit, and Adobe Flashplayer were not playing-well with each other.)

The 2nd set of freezes come when the one-most-problematic laptop is shutdown. Even if we try a "Restart", this laptop still freezes. Since this was a "forced" power-off, the Event Logs do not provide any information. On one occasion while shutting down we received the message that a background program was running. I have not researched this message via Event Logs or MSConfig.exe as of this post.

We have run System File Protection (sfc /scannow) and 5-stage hard disk error checking.

We plan to try some of the tests that were suggested in the earlier posts. We would appreciate any updates regarding this problem and we will post additional information.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem has not occured in the last two days. Previously, it occured multiple times every day. Hopefully, the issue is resolved after doing the following. I downloaded and installed a new driver and software from Logitech for a Dell Bluetooth mouse that wasn't yet available on the Dell support website. Then I set the Broadcom bluetooth software to not load automatically on start up.

Thanks
    Quite often these types of problems are drivers. The manufacturers sites often do not have the latest drivers. It is often worth checking for updated drivers for all connected devices before condeming the OS for all problems. Most manufacturers don't take the time to verify new drivers when they become available, sometimes to their detriment.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was having problems with 64-bit Win 7 Pro. The problem is irrelevant in this case. Dell could not help me and I went to Microsoft. After a series of system checks trying to diagnose (unsuccessfully), they suggested an upgrade re-install. This solved my problem. It took less than an hour to fix. An upgrade re-install obviates the need to re-install all your programs and all your folders/file. The time needed is well worth the effort even if it doesn't solve the problem. Don P
    Don Plorde