Star Lounger
    Thanks
    About ten days ago I finished my taxes and tried to upload the return to Turbo Tax. It wouldn't go. I double checked my internet connections, and was able to connect in IE and Firefox. Tried again, no luck. My internet service provider suggested I download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and check for any infections. I could download the program, but when it started and tried to download an update, that was blocked. I got a error message about can't connect like I did with Turbo Tax. It did give an error number and went to that web page on Malwarebytes, and followed the directions. That didn't help. Again, I can open the browsers, open iTunes, and do anything I need to do. But it's the tasks from within programs, like updating or uploading my tax return, that are failing.

I took it to my ISP, who has a repair shop, and they can't figure it out. The technician I spoke with said I have too much security software running for him to find the conflict. I replied that as far as I knew I only had Microsoft Security (Vista) and Secunia PSI in resident, and he said there were more programs than that. So I get to pick up the computer this afternoon, back at square one. At least they're not charging me for trying to fix it.

So, if you follow the tech's logic, I need to uninstall (or prevent loading on startup) everything that has to do with security/malware, driver monitoring, junk file cleanup, and probably other things I can't think of right away. Then I have to see if Turbo Tax will upload. If it doesn't work then, I don't know what to do next. I put this in the Internet Explorer forum because I was told that Turbo Tax uses IE to do its business. I feel uneasy about having all my security software disabled while I try to upload my tax return. What if it's a setting in IE instead of the security programs? What if I get hit with malware while the defense are down? What if nobody reads this post? (Just kidding.) I appreciate any suggestions.
    Jim Whitt
    Pharmacist
    Temple, Texas

Thanks
    I think it's true that TurboTax uses some components of IE to communicate with the internet, although I haven't used the latest version yet.

If you don't mind downloading yet another program... there is a handy tool named HijackThis that combs through memory and lists out all the actively running programs. This might help in spotting potentially conflicting programs. I suggest getting that, restarting Windows, and before running any other applications, generating a program list. Anything look suspicious? You can post the list here for further comment. There also are forums that seem to specialize in reviewing HijackThis logs.

Download: HijackThis - Trend Micro USA

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot. I'll give it a try. But the tricks suggested by Mr. Russell in WS 236 didn't take. So it may be headed to the Geek Squad. Thanks again.
    Jim Whitt
    Pharmacist
    Temple, Texas

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Whitt View Post
    So it may be headed to the Geek Squad.
    Based on family experience, be sure to have a full and up-to-date backup of any computer you turn over to the Geek Squad. You never know when the hard drive might accidentally get erased.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No doubt that is good advice. However, it didn't have to go. I uninstalled all security software except MS Security Essentials, then rebooted in safe mode with networking, and downloaded the latest version of Hijack This. It found one - one - line in the registry that was out of whack. After it cleaned that up and I rebooted, all functionality returned. I was able to upload my tax return, do Windows Update successfully, and other routine tasks that have been anything but. I downloaded a fresh copy of Malwarebytes for occasional scans, mainly because I paid for it a few months ago, but it won't be used in real time.

I've been working with computers for decades, but I never cease to be amazed by them. One line in the registry caused all the havoc, or so it seems. Thanks for the help!!
    Jim Whitt
    Pharmacist
    Temple, Texas