Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "ProblemUser" cannot open a Word 2007 (.docx) file on an Windows XP computer in an SBS 2000 domain using Word 2002 with the 2007 Compatibility pack installed. "GoodUser" has no problem on the same computer with the same document. When ProblemUser double-clicks on the .docx file, Word opens and presents a Convert File dialog with only 5 choices: Plain Text, Encoded Text, Rich Text File (RTF), HTML Document, and Web Archive. The conversion happens automatically for GoodUser when opening the same file on the same computer. What's happening? More importantly, how do I fix ProblemUser?

Another difference - If ProblemUser does a Save As with a blank document, he sees an option "Word 2007 Document". The GoodUser gets options "Word 2007 Document (.docx)" and "Word 2007 Macro-enabled Document (.docm)".

Both users accounts are domain accounts that are in the Administrators group on the computer.

I asked this at another site over a week ago, but have not had a solution other than to delete the ProblemUser user account.

Thanks for any help,

Joe M

Thanks
    Is it possible to reinstall the conversion pack for "problem user"?

Having a choice of conversion options is set under Tools>Options>General tab, Confirm Conversion at Open checkbox.

== Adding link for folks visiting this thread in the future ==

Download details: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I did a "repair" of the Compatibility Pack in Add/Remove Programs. I did a remove and then did a new install with a freshly downloaded Compatibility Pack. I did a repair on Office. I checked the behavior after each try and there was no change.

I have also tried a few stabs of desperation. Removed user's normal.dot. Removed user's Office .pid files. Nothing changed behavior.

Thanks for the idea though,

Joe M

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Having a choice of conversion options is set under Tools>Options>General tab, Confirm Conversion at Open checkbox.
    I was able to get on the computer and change the option to not confirm for ProblemUser. The document then opened and converted when the document icon was double-clicked. I set the option back to confirm and saw the original behavior.

When the document opened successfully under ProblemUser, Word asked if I wanted to incorporate the changes back into an original document. When I opened it as Gooduser, I did not get that message. The document was a revision of a document that had been traded via email. The document was created in Word 2002 and emailed as a .doc. The recipient made changes in Word 2007 and emailed the changed document back as a .docx. The changed document caused the problem. I have no idea what document tracking was involved in either Word or document version. My guess would be that the .doc originator (ProblemUser) did not have any document tracking turned on.

I tried opening the same document as GoodUser. Confirm had been turned off. It opened the document, but did not ask about incorporating changes. I set confirm on. I now had the same behavior as ProblemUser where it asked about converting, but did not give any Word 2007 options.

Does this give you any idea what might be causing the problem?

The fact that I can turn the confirm off and get the document in is a BIG step forward and may be sufficient. I just hate to leave a problem lurking.

Thanks for your help,

Joe M

Thanks
    I prefer to have the conversion dialog, but then again, mine always shows the correct format (2007) in the dialog, so that is rather mysterious that your users don't get that. Oh, I am using Office 2003. Maybe this is something unique to Word 2002? Hopefully a Word 2002 user can chime in.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    ... Maybe this is something unique to Word 2002? Hopefully a Word 2002 user can chime in.
    I tried it on another machine with Word 2002. With confirm checked I get a choice of 22 formats rather than the five I get with ProblemUser and GoodUser on what I will now call ProblemComputer.

I would love it if someone had more to answer. Your idea helped a LOT. I now know it is not a ProblemUser/GoodUser problem. It is machine-wide. The different behaviors were due to different options. The confirm option just doesn't work on that machine.

Thanks,

Joe M