New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just out of the blue, there's a an inch-square transparent box enclosing another square with what looks like a speaker which is x'd out. It's like a large moving icon. It moves up and down the left hand side of the Windows 7 Home Premium desktop, sitting for a moment in four different positions--as if it were part of a screen saver. However, that's not what I have loaded as a screen saver. I've checked audio settings in Windows, including the mixer and various audio programs and the audio is not muted. I can hear audio. It's baffling. It's also "on top". Any ideas as to what's up?

Thanks

Thanks
    Hi John, and welcome to the Lounge!

What you describe reminds me of the keyboard function key shortcut used to disable sound on a system. When the function key shortcut is pressed you normally get an icon similar to the one you described, but it usually remains stationary and disappears after a few moments. Have you noted any odd behavior out of your keyboard recently? If it is a USB keyboard, unplug and plug it back in to see if there is any difference, or if you have another keyboard swap it out. If you are using a PS/2 connected keyboard, be sure to cut your computer off before you unplug the keyboard. You might try uninstalling the keyboard in Device Manager and reboot to force Windows to reinstall the device. Updating the keyboard driver might prove useful if the current driver is corrupted.

What software are you running just before this object makes its appearance? Does it persist when it shows up until the next boot? How often does this occur, and can you remember the first day it happened? Are you running 32 or 64 bit Windows 7?

It would be a good idea to run full scans with your AV software as well. Also give MalwareBytes Anti-malware and SuperAntispyware a run - both are free and are good for detecting malware.

If the problem still persists, a quick and easy thing to try is to go to Device Manager and uninstall your sound device, reboot your system to force Windows to reinstall the device and see if that clears things up.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for your suggestions. The problem didn't turn out to be the keyboard. However, I ran a full Norton Internet Security scan, which said it found nothing, when I checked the results an hour or two later. However, as I was downloading SuperAntiSpyware, I noticed the speaker icon was gone.... as suddenly as it appeared. Go figure.