New Lounger
    Thanks
    I obtained a new laptop running Win7 Home premium. Not knowing much about win7 I just set up the workgroup of my home network and shared a folder I created on the Win7 D: drive (not the users public library). I could see the folder from Win XP, but when I clicked on the folder in explorer the poor Win7 machine goes bluescreen and reboots! This is very repeatable. I finally moved my folder to the public area and have no problems networking XP, 2000, and 7 using the workgroup. Win 7 must have a nasty bug to allow the XP machine's request to tank it! I occasionally got permission denied messages on the XP machine without a bluescreen on 7. But half the time, it was the blue screen of death. Just like Win 3!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you have any details of the BSOD?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, I don't have any BSOD info. It flew by as the system went into boot.

Administrator
    Thanks
    To stop the system from re-booting automatically so you can capture some details, go to Control Panel | System and Security | System | Advanced System Settings (left panel) | Startup & Reocvery Settings button. Uncheck the "Automatically restart" box.

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As JoeP has mentioned disable automatic BSOD rebooting to give you a rough idea of what is happening then navigate to your %SystemRoot%\ (most likely C:\Windows)

Software like Nirsoft BlueScreenView may help you diagnose the issue without too much hassle, Otherwise you may need to dig deeper and use Windows Debugging Tools (windbg) etc to find the cause.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html