New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have MagicJack (MJ) which is a piece of hw that allows phone calls over the Internet. It works fine, but the other day I tried to backup my address book which is stored on the MJ's internal CD-ROM. When I went to the corresponding drive, (G) in this case, I was told to insert a disk. Well, that's not the way it normally works. It should look like any USB removable drive. Here's how I understand MJ works. Upon installation, MJ loads two USB devices; one a Tiger Jet Harddisk and the other a CD-ROM. The latter is where the address book is stored. Both devices appear in the Device Manager as shown in the first picture. However, when I use Windows Explorer, the drives are shown F: and G:, but the contents are not visible (see 2nd picture). Both drives basically say that there's no media installed.

Let me say this - MJ still works fine as I can make calls, but I can't see the drives' contents.

I've tried a simple reboot. Tried a complete power down of the PC, i.e., removed the plug and restart. Tried different USB ports. CHKDSK doesn't work for either drive - "Cannot open volume for direct access."

Any ideas as to what's wrong? Is it the MJ unit itself even though it still works? Are the drives somehow corrupted?

[attachment=88358:MJ Trouble1.gif]
    [attachment=88359:MJ Trouble2.gif]
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After the MJ update in Feb the contact list is now stored on THEIR servers and no longer stored on our PC's ( dumb I know.)
    Also what you are seeing is now the new normal as far as the MJ drives go.
    Here is a GREAT web page for whenever you need answers for your MJ questions. It is just a bunch of users, including myself, who try to help.
    We are NOT affiliated with MJ.

http://www.magicjacksupport.com/

and this one in particular as it has a LOT of info about the new update to MJ.
    http://www.magicjacksupport.com/luck...ate-t8599.html

Joe Sica

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe for your help. I spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong. I thought something had changed as I was seeing the message, "Downloading contacts". But shouldn't they have the courtesy of informing their customers? (We should never have anything bad to say about how MS handles its customers. At least they describe the updates they're sending.) I was using a 3rd party application to store my contacts as a CSV and updating the contacts from that. I started doing that after I lost my contacts. I agree with you and others regarding the stupidity of storing contacts on their servers. Anyway, isn't having them store my contacts a privacy issue?

Thanks again.

BTW, I knew about the help site you directed me toward, but I couldn't find anything about my problem. Poor choice of search words, I suppose.

I don't even know what version MJ I'm running. Where is that listed? How/where do you find out about upgrades? When you see them taking place?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes one would think OUR contacts belong on OUR machines. The only thing I can think of is many people had to format
    their MJ dongles and then lost their contacts. I guess MJ support got tired of hearing it and took matters into their own hands,
    so to speak.
    MJ never gives a warning prior to a "lucky you" update. I think I have had 5 or 6 since I got my MJ in Aug. 2008. Nor do they
    post what said updates did. That's why that web page is the best for that info. I started that thread ( the link I sent you) because I got
    the update and wanted to see what others thought.
    As far as the version number, do a search for Magicjackloader.exe and right click and then click properties. then click version tab
    and then file version...

Joe Sica