5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Access 2000. I have an Add-in (Find and Replace) for Access 2000 that I have used in the past but I've changed PCs and I can't figure out where to place the Add-in file so I can activate it in the Add-in Manager. I have the file in the same folder with the database (that's where the equivalent Add-in for Access 97 is located) but when I open the Add-in Manager the window list is empty and there is no Add button or Browse button.

So, which folder should the Add-in file be located in?

Thanks,
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can find the installation instructions for Rick Fisher's "Find and Replace" utility here.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a description of Find and Replace there, which I had already found and read, but no installation instructions. I've also browsed through the Help file and can't find any clue there either. I'll try to ask Rick directly and see if I can get an answer that way if I don't get anything further here. I thought maybe someone here would say "all Add-ins for Access 2000 are to be placed in the ... folder" or something like that!

Thanks for trying.
    Bill

Thanks
    You could try this way to add it, as long as you have the actual Add-In File

[attachment=88364:Access_AddIn.jpg]

(Please ignore poor grammatical errors in JPG typing)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As I indicated in my message, my Add-in manager dialog box does not have an Add New button! If I had that I would be on the way to success. That is what is so puzzling. Since there is no indication on the dialog box that there is or will be an Add button, I assume that if the Add-in files are in the right place they will be listed in that dialog box, but I don't know where the "right place" is.

Thanks for trying.

Bill

Thanks
    Sorry Bill, missed that.
    What OS are you running?
    Andrew

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Vista Home Premium.

Bill

Thanks
    Assuming You can get as far as Add-In Manager (odd that the button is not there)
    You could try the following...........

I did this and it worked OK.

Windows 2000 - XP

Copy the Add-In File into

C:\Documents and Settings\YourLoginName\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns

Windows Vista and 7

C:\Users\YourLoginName\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns

Once the file is copied, go into Access and try and select the Add-In as normal
    Andrew

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for suggestion. Unfortunately, it did not help. I put the Find and Replace files in that folder but it did not show up in the dialogbox. I have written to the supplier to ask what I need to do but I have not recieved a reply yet.

Thanks,
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you read the instructions Here ?

This version supports Access 2007 (as well as 2000, 2002, 2003) with the exception that (when used with Access 2007) macros can only be searched, not modified. Fixes a problem with registration in 9.00jx2 with Access 2007. Please note that the preferred method of installation is to open the replace9.mde file directly and click the Install button on the installation form. If you use the Access Add-in manager please be aware that it copies the replace9.mde file into your profile and other users will not be able to use Find and Replace (this is especially problematic when an admin installs for you).

To install:

1. Extract the replace9.mde and replace9.hlp files to a directory of your choice. This directory must have permissions that allow write capability to the user who will use Find and Replace.

2 Make sure you are logged on to a user ID that has authority to install software. Generally this means the user is a member of the administrators or power users group. Close any open Access sessions. Start Access. Open the replace9.mde file. A form should open that has an Install button. Click this and it should install. Note: if you are running Windows Vista you will probably have to turn off User Account Control to install.
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I hadn't read that. I'll try it and see what happens. I don't have Access 2007 and I'm certain that I did not open the Replace9.mde file when I used it before. Actually, my current version of Replace9.mde was downloaded long before Access 2007 was created! I'll probably need to get a later version of Replace9.mde.

Thanks for noticing that instruction.

Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I installed Find and Replace using the technique described in the message above, including turning off UAC in my Vista. The install process said it was installed successfully but after restarting Access there was nothing new in the Add-ins menu and nothing was listed in the Add-ins Manager dialog box. I'm still hoping to hear from the Rick Fisher support people on this but haven't heard anything yet.

Bill

Thanks
    I have just successfully installed this add-in on Access 2000, 2003 and 2007
    Using various techniques with no problems.
    Sounds like there is something wrong with Access, or the Security settings on your PC.
    Andrew

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I apparently did not get UAC turned off when I thought I did. Now, I have successfully installed Find and Replace and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Bill