New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a strange problem. I ws trying to install a dvd writing software on Windows 7 and this install disabled my cd\dvd writer. I first tried my Plextor which was working this morning because I was able to burn a dvd, but after I tried to install this software program it disabled my internal Plextor writer. I then tried my external Memorex writer trying either the firewire or usb connectors and it too gave me the yellow "i". I then tried a dvd-rom drive and it didn't get recognize the dvd-rom player. I then went into system restore to last week, it worked for a few minutes in that both the Plextor writer and the Memorex writer were ok in device manager and within 5 minutes I got the yellow "i". How can I get the dvd writers enabled ? Is there something in the registry that ill enable the dvd writers once again ?

I did try installing the writing software in windows XP sp2, sp3 and windows 2000 compatability mode but was unsuccessful.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Arthur:

First thing I would do is uninstall the software from your system, if you already haven't and then do a full virus scan and also possibly Search and Destroy. Make sure to scan your writing software also. Something doesn't seem quite right there. As a last resort, I'd seriously consider trying or using free burning software that is compatible with windows7.
    Gus P

Thanks
    Hi Arthur! After you implement Gusporter's suggestions, check out the Microsoft Windows 7 Compatibility site. They have cataloged a number of 32 and 64 bit apps and rate their compatibility to Windows 7. You can also check various hardware for compatibility as well.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem is solved. I did run Anti-Virus programs, Search and destroy, Microsoft Security Essentials, Avg, each found some viruses but didn't solved my problem at all. I even tried a registry fixit program, went through the motions and produced no fix for my problem. I have spent at least six hours on Google and finally found out what my problem and most probably others have as well. The main culprit is incompatable dvd writing software namely record now deluxe by sonic solutions and what this program did was to automatically disbale the device driver and caused error 32. I asked namely the same question at least six or more time and finally found someone who wrote a registry file or a hack that enabled the device driver of the dvd writer to look normal in device manager. I would ike to upload it but don't know how yet. It is called cdgone. Just google it and run it.

Since I bought the Windows 7 professional upgrade I tried to use the upgrade feature to reinstall Windows 7 but after following their instructions on how to do it, it never worked. The only option I had was to make a complete new install and didn't want to do this and lose everything I already had on my hard disk. I finally figured out how to upload this file. Could the upgrade feature be used to upgrade a windows 7 operating system or earlier versions ?
    Attached Files Attached Files