New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just had a XP home system (built 5 years ago for my wife) go down due to a mobo failure. Fortunately I have an image of that system on my HP MediaSmart Home Server. Since the old system's hardware and OS has become long in the tooth I decided to just buy the wife a new system. I purchased her an HP Win7, 64 bit machine with an i7 920 cpu. I also bought a secondary hardrive on which to put her old XP system's image on. This went off without a hitch. I would like my wife to be able to boot to either system to ease her transition from XP to Win7.

My question is, how do I get windows to recognize both drives as bootable (I'm unfamiliar with bcdedit), and once that is achived, how do I get the old XP system to deal with all the new hardware so it will actually boot and not have to go into safe mode? I realize these are some broad questions, but some general guidence is what I'm after, as I think I can fill in the blanks.

A pre thank you to all who may help with my dilema.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First question is what did you use to make the image with? Some image software like Acronis True Image and Shadow Protect have a universal or bare-metal restore component or plugin that will help integrate/update the HAL of the image so it will work on a completly different system. If you used a freebie image maker, you probably won't have or get that option.

If that is the case, you're stuck with trying to install XP fresh and finding the drivers needed, which may also be next to impossible on a new HP i7 Win7 64-bit.

One other possible way involves changing the SATA controller to IDE emulation (if the option exists in the BIOS) if the old XP system was indeed IDE, and then using something like the UBCD4Win CD to replace the current IDE driver in XP with a generic one. That will allow the system to boot into XP but you may still have a lot of problems finding all the drivers for everything else from there PLUS, you may have to reinstall Win7 if the SATA controllers are not discrete enough to allow IDE emulation on one while keeping the other(s) in AHCI mode.

The option with the best chance of working and not causing any performance issues I think may be to get a IDE to SATA PCI card. That way it would all be independent of the SATA controllers already there and there would be a known interface procedure that should all be provided for with the software that comes with the PCI interface card.

If you ever got it to work, then and only then would you have the relatively easy task these days of setting up the booting options (I love EasyBCD).

If the old system is SATA also, you would still have the problem of trying to find compatible SATA drivers for the current system and get back to the need for a bare-metal restore option to get them incorporated. You may have a system that is pre-built and too up-to-the-minute modern to make it possible to get a system image of XP working.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    First question is what did you use to make the image with? Some image software like Acronis True Image and Shadow Protect have a universal or bare-metal restore component or plugin that will help integrate/update the HAL of the image so it will work on a completly different system. If you used a freebie image maker, you probably won't have or get that option.
    It appears the OP is using Windows Home Server. With WHS you can backup up to 10 PCs. I'm not sure about restoring to different hardware without at least doing a repair install. Finding the correct XP drivers will most likely be the biggest challenge.

Joe
    Joe