New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all. I'm new to this lounge, so please forgive me any obvious newby mistakes. :-)

I am working in MS Word 2003, SP3. I have a document that I want to have two differerent headers for--the first part of the document are the instructions for how to fill out a form, and the second part of the document is the form itself. I have a new-page section break between the first and second parts of the document, and I want the header of the first section to say "Procedure" and the header of the second section to say "Inspection Checklist". However, when I open the header of either section and edit the text of the header, the change appears in both headers. The online Help for Word implies that I should be able to have different headers using section breaks, but it doesn't give me any details on HOW to do it.

Anyone out there know what I'm doing here?

Thanks,
    Tracey
    Tracey Yates

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Yates View Post
    Hi all. I'm new to this lounge, so please forgive me any obvious newby mistakes. :-)

I am working in MS Word 2003, SP3. I have a document that I want to have two differerent headers for--the first part of the document are the instructions for how to fill out a form, and the second part of the document is the form itself. I have a new-page section break between the first and second parts of the document, and I want the header of the first section to say "Procedure" and the header of the second section to say "Inspection Checklist". However, when I open the header of either section and edit the text of the header, the change appears in both headers. The online Help for Word implies that I should be able to have different headers using section breaks, but it doesn't give me any details on HOW to do it.

Anyone out there know what I'm doing here?

Thanks,
    Tracey
    When you bring up the Headers and Footers toolbar one of the icons has the pop-up text 'Same as Previous'. That's the one you want to click

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm . . . I can't seem to find the Same as Previous icon on the toolbar. I have Insert AutoText, Insert Page Number, Insert Number of Pages, Format Page Number, Insert Date, Insert Time, Page Setup, Show/Hide Document Text, Link to Previous, Switch Between Header and Footer, Show Previous, Show Next, and Close.

Is the Same as Previous icon in a different version of Word than the one I'm using? (Word 2003, SP3)

Thanks,
    Tracey
    Tracey Yates

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Yates View Post
    Hmmm . . . I can't seem to find the Same as Previous icon on the toolbar. I have Insert AutoText, Insert Page Number, Insert Number of Pages, Format Page Number, Insert Date, Insert Time, Page Setup, Show/Hide Document Text, Link to Previous, Switch Between Header and Footer, Show Previous, Show Next, and Close.

Is the Same as Previous icon in a different version of Word than the one I'm using? (Word 2003, SP3)

Thanks,
    Tracey
    Yes, sorry, I've only got W2007 and W97 here - Use 'Link to Previous', that should do it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah! That did it. Thanks so much--this is a trick I will use a lot.

Thanks!!
    Tracey
    Tracey Yates