3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My wife's computer wouldn't boot last week and after working with it a while I decided it likely had a bad sector on the hard drive in the Windows folder. May or not be the case but after fighting the thing for a couple hours I decided to just install a new drive and reinstall her programs. Her data is all on a separate data drive so I figured not that big a deal.

The original drives were both IDE. I bought a new SATA drive for the fresh install.

After the installation the new drive was assigned "F" instead of "C". Both IDE drives were disconnected during the install, but the CD drive..........which is also SATA........was of course connected.

Is this drive assignment of "F" because I have the CD drive in a MB connector that supersedes the HDD connector. IE.........will swapping the cables solve this problem?

I tried to use DISK MANAGEMENT to change the letters but it won't let me do so on the primary drive with the MBR.

If the problem IS because of a SATA connector primary/secondary issue, will just swapping the cables assign "C" to the new HDD? Or will I have to reformat and reinstall Windows again?

Thanks for the help. Sometimes it seems I know just enough about all this to make a lot of trouble for myself !!

BH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like you started a new drive with the card readers installed. If you want the drive letters to come up in old odrder, diss connect the usb cable of the card reader and after the new drive is up and working, then hook them back of and their drive letters will be behind those now on board.

I hope this works for you, it does for me.

ddy

Thanks
    Another way to do it would be to reassign all your drive letters to later alphabets, then re-reassign them to your liking.
    If you have a device that you only have connected infrequently, then disconnect it prior to beginning, This way it
    will remain the latest alphabet letter assigned when you do go to use it again.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Darrold..........I'll do that on the reinstall tomorrow.

Clint...........that's what I tried to do but Windows wouldn't let me change "F" as it is the primary drive with Windows.

BH