Thanks
    Hello all
    I need to transfer my music, audiobooks, podcasts etc to a new pc. The previous pc suffered a grevious failure and now no longer exists. iTunes is the normal mechanism for transfering from a iPhone to computer. However this is a new installation of iTunes and so has nothing in it. If I synchronize the library between the iPhone and iTunes it will wipe out everything in my iPhone.
    Not the solution I want.
    Since one can't "see" the audio files directly through windows explorer (not without jailbreaking the phone anyway) I wonder if any other loungers have any software suggestions. I'm open to paid, though of course free is nice too.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The link below is a long read but it could be well worth it.

Ipod to PC Tutorial
    What if your local back-up disks are stolen or damaged (fire, flood, earthquake)
    What are you going to do?
    LOCAL and OFFSITE back-up - the only true way to protect your data.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlindsay View Post
    The link below is a long read but it could be well worth it.

Ipod to PC Tutorial
    Ah, yes I waded through it only to find that iPhones can't use the techniques discussed.

However, a free download of MediaMonkey has given me the tool I wanted (clunky, yes - but at least doable).
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharine Richardson - WebGenii View Post
    Hello all
    I need to transfer my music, audiobooks, podcasts etc to a new pc. The previous pc suffered a grevious failure and now no longer exists. iTunes is the normal mechanism for transfering from a iPhone to computer. However this is a new installation of iTunes and so has nothing in it. If I synchronize the library between the iPhone and iTunes it will wipe out everything in my iPhone.
    Not the solution I want.
    Since one can't "see" the audio files directly through windows explorer (not without jailbreaking the phone anyway) I wonder if any other loungers have any software suggestions. I'm open to paid, though of course free is nice too.
    Hi Catharine
    My son uses an ipod, and I refuse to have itunes on my machine- (itunes is the main reason I did not buy an ipod, and got a fuze instead!)

I found an excellent freeware application called share pod. It allows you to ``see`` and manipulate the ipod files and folders on a windows machine, much like you would with most mp3 players and usb sticks. Cut, copy, paste, move, delete, drag and drop, etc all become possible. You can even move, copy and add playlists. I have successfuly loaded photos and videos using this software. Best of all, no itunes is needed, and you can bypass the whole syncronization headaches.

I think you can get it here: http://www.getsharepod.com This application does not need instalation, just run it. I keep it in a folder on my desktop. ( you can even run it from the ipod, if you use the ipod as a storage device )

Thanks
    Excellent tip - I'll follow it up.

Another question - I listen to podcasts and audiobooks a lot and one of the neat things the iPhone does is return to the same place in the audio file when it is restarted. (In fact, it must synch this info with iTunes as once the phone is synced the audio file will start in the same place regardless of whether its on the pc or phone). My previous mp3 player required one to restart the audio file from the beginning if you listened to anything else inbetween session.

Does the fuze support this capability?
    WebGenii Home Page

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, all.

Can this getsharepod.com work for iPhone? I also have the question of how to transfer podcasts from iPhone to PC. And I am tired of synchronizing with iTunes account. I think if there is an app which allows us to transfer files from iPhone to PC freely, without using account, that's better. Maybe we should try to use some third-party programs to transfer files.
    Last edited by Colton754; 2012-08-31 at 02:24.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Something else free that may work for you...

I found this utility recently and found it is pretty handy for getting stuff off the iPhone to the PC.
    It is called DiskAid and is a free download here.

http://www.digidna.net/products/diskaid/download

Hope this helps!

Ttyl, GaryG

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use touch copy..........it is not free but is easy to use and will download all your info into a folder on your computer or put into your iTunes library(which you said you don't want to use)......here is the link...............http://www.wideanglesoftware.com/touchcopy/index.php

Thanks
    Spam bait topic, now /locked.