2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you know that the 30-year-old Space Shuttle flies on only 1mb of ram? Incredible!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keely Dolan View Post
    Did you know that the 30-year-old Space Shuttle flies on only 1mb of ram? Incredible!

That is truly amazing! If I had been asked I would have guessed that there would be at least 1Gbyte of memory by now! Obviously the software is not written by MS!

Thanks for sharing that Keely
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The server on the first PC network I encountered, back in the mid 80s, had only 512K of RAM. When it was upgraded to 1 Mb that was awesome. How times have changed.

stuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    The server on the first PC network I encountered, back in the mid 80s, had only 512K of RAM. When it was upgraded to 1 Mb that was awesome. How times have changed.

stuck
    I know what you mean. The first modern style PC I purchased, back around the same time frame, was a 286-12 (actually it was a 286-6 with a turbo feature that boosted it to 12 Mhz)! I went full bore with it and purchased the RAM upgrade for 1Mbyte and a 20 Mbyte hard drive! Wooohooo! The MS software came on a half-dozen or so 3 1/2" floppy disks!

I always got a laugh about the turbo button! No one I knew ever ran at the slower speeds!

Of course, if I want to really go back there was the Heathkit computer that I built back in the late 70's. 48Kbytes of RAM! Everything ran off floppy or cassette! It was powered by an Z80 processor which, if I remember right, clocked out at 2 Mhz!

In between those two gems was my Commodore 64, a great little gaming computer.

God do I feel very, very old right now!
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, the good old days. I remember when I got my first 9600 bps modem (as an upgrade) and downloading txt files late at night when I knew that the phone line wouldn't ring and interrupt my connection. Now, I'm not sure how I lived with anything less than 24 hour connectivity at breakneck speed.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah, the good old days. I remember when I got my first 9600 bps modem (as an upgrade) and downloading txt files late at night when I knew that the phone line wouldn't ring and interrupt my connection. Now, I'm not sure how I lived with anything less than 24 hour connectivity at breakneck speed.
    You had a 9.6 Kbaud modem! You lucky person. I had a lowly 5600. I know what you mean though, I sit at my computer complaining about the download speed (6.5 Mbyte/sec) and then remember the hours spent nursing a download through my modem. I even remember adding a second line to my house so that I could use the moden without worrying about some one calling in and disrupting it. i also remember how excited I was when I acquired some modem software that actually recovered itself from interruptions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am actually a NASA contractor, and a couple of guys I oversee are working on the new Constellation Ares Upper Stage software integration design review. It's a little bit more complex these days. :-)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The second 'computer' I programmed was an IBM machine with a 2K memory. IBM card input and output, plus hard copy printer the size of today's Mini Cooper!
    The first IBM machine I programmed was a 604 Electronic Calculator, borrowed from the Navy to process several thousand IBM cards in the dead of a Saturday night. Incidently, the program was 'installed' via a wired punch board that I had had no formal training on.

flavet
    Dell Inspiron 15R, 8GB, Win7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
    All help truly appreciated!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you paused to consider that when in orbit the shuttle does not fly?

That is an extraterrestrial myth promoted by the extraterrestrials aboard it.

Thanks
    I am actually a NASA contractor, and a couple of guys I oversee are working on the new Constellation Ares Upper Stage software integration design review. It's a little bit more complex these days. :-)
    I wonder how much cosmic radiation and or gama ray exposure factor into their build design?
    I know it's a low Earth orbiter, but they must be getting some degree of exposure greater than ground level.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Have you paused to consider that when in orbit the shuttle does not fly?

That is an extraterrestrial myth promoted by the extraterrestrials aboard it.
    That is silly, Peter. Extraterrestrials do not exist. The true capability of the shuttle is that it flies via the power of the phlogiston released by air reaching its most base form in the upper atmosphere because of the mighty dragons exuding their fiery breath on the shuttle's wings. When I said "it flies on one 1MB of ram", I meant one "Monster's Breath" at "ramming speed".

One megabyte? Now that's just unbelievable.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is silly, Peter. Extraterrestrials do not exist. The true capability of the shuttle is that it flies via the power of the phlogiston released by air reaching its most base form in the upper atmosphere because of the mighty dragons exuding their fiery breath on the shuttle's wings. When I said "it flies on one 1MB of ram", I meant one "Monster's Breath" at "ramming speed".

One megabyte? Now that's just unbelievable.
    Well now, don't I feel silly. I thought for sure there were Extraterrestrials. I thought that was proven by the film of the alien bodies being autopsied in Area 51. Wait! Does that mean there is no AREA 51!? This is unbelievable!

Also, I thought that the phlogiston was the thingy that made the delorean work in "Back to the Future" I am all confused!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMouse View Post
    Well now, don't I feel silly. I thought for sure there were Extraterrestrials. I thought that was proven by the film of the alien bodies being autopsied in Area 51. Wait! Does that mean there is no AREA 51!? This is unbelievable!

Also, I thought that the phlogiston was the thingy that made the delorean work in "Back to the Future" I am all confused!
    That flux capacitor thing made the Delorean work. It was fueled by ill-gotten plutonium from terrorists (or, in the absence of plutonium, a lightning strike). Dragons and phlogiston fuel the space shuttle, not time machines!

This thread is making my head hurt.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That flux capacitor thing made the Delorean work. It was fueled by ill-gotten plutonium from terrorists (or, in the absence of plutonium, a lightning strike). Dragons and phlogiston fuel the space shuttle, not time machines!

This thread is making my head hurt.
    My Brain Hurts

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Terrestrials live on land; Terra firma, if you like, but as the news these days reminds us, terra is not so firma in a lot of places a lot of the time.

Aquatic creatures live in the water.

Avians nest, perch, etc. on land but are often miscategorised, as are many others. I think there are birds that are aloft at all times, although what they do about the next generation is left to the imagination.

When you are flying in an aircraft (or dirigible or blimp) you might be a temporary avian, or, if the pilot, a genuine aviator, but gravity being what gravity is you must land (or worse) eventually and be regarded as a terrestrial.

Troglodytes live in caves, but are probably regarded as terrestrials. We earthlings stick pretty close to the mantle, be it up or down.

Ice-dwellers, such as penguins, seem not to have a term for them, and by some accounts they are running out of ice mighty fast. These are not to be confused with residents of Iceland, who are terrestrials who live in earthquake-resistant dwellings.

The space shuttle is rocketing when it is rocketing no flying involved in that it is flying when it is flying inelegantly but fine in the scheme of things and when it is in orbit it requires precisely nothing (luck excluded) to propel it or do much of anything else to it. Its inhabitants, and while they are in orbit they are indeed inhabitants, are temporarily at least, extraterrestrials.

I think you may all have been far too much influenced by a flick with some ET character in it.,