New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using two pc in different offices - one is using Office 2007 Prof and the other Office 2003. When working on a number of spreadsheets, I encounter issues with compatibility and have two questions:

1) When trying to save, I am alerted to the issue by office , e.g. "This workbook contains more unique cell formats than are supported by the selected file format. Some cell formats will not be saved." and given the information of 1 occurrence. While in some cases, an option to Find is available, in other cases this link is not there. This is not helpful as I don't know which cell is causing the issue. How can I fix this issue, perhaps the formatting is not relevant but I don't know where to look for it. Is there any way to see the offending cells?

2) I am using colour highlighting for cells to show different shipments or the status of orders. I did this already with the old version and now the new version has more colour options. I think the issue is that some of the new colour options are not supported. I would not mind using just the old options that are compatible on both office versions - how would I go about this? I am already saving as .xls and the helpfiles are only telling me how to save a file in a different extension but that still leaves me with the formatting / compatibility issue.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Your file is in trouble I'm afraid. There is not just this one cell causing havoc, you have too many different formatting combinations for Excel 2003 to handle. A formatting combination is any unique combination of anything you can change to the formatting of a cell. Even though Excel 2007 IS capable of handling more combinations, I'd still be worried a bit.

I would advise you to go through your file and rationalise the cell formatting.

Now is also a good time to start using styles:
    http://www.jkp-ads.com/articles/styles00.asp
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Pieterse, thanks but that leads to more questions.

While I could use styles in the 2007 program, I still want to use the other pc only running 2003 - will that work?

I would not even mind using/saving this particular spreadsheet in the 2003 mode on my 2007 rig but I guess that is not possible?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Styles should travel just fine between both versions. However, for best results, I'd do the reformatting in 2003.
    If you keep using this file on multiple versions I recommend keeping it in xls format.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association