2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PATCH WATCH

Support clock ticking on XP and Vista versions

By Susan Bradley

Microsoft's support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 and the orginal version of Vista is ending soon.

If you haven't upgraded to Windows XP SP3 or Vista SP1 or SP2, now is the time to do so.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/03/25/07 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-20 at 15:59.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using Windows 2000 since it was released. No patches since Service Pack 4. Never infected. Instead of paying for an OS with DRM that might accuse me of piracy, I use a Vipre, Opera, Eudora and a little common sense. I do have a clone of my hard drive. But, April 13 is soo scary, I better buy a new computer that supports Windows 7 and my 11 monitors and my 13 ide hard drives. Then I can live in fear of DRM instead.

Thanks
    Regarding Flash vulnerabilities: We who use Firefox as our browser have it easier. We have NoScript and NoFlash, which provide granular controls over where and what can be shown in Flash or the most common scripting languages. Nothing this granular exists for Active-X and Flash or scripts under IE, although the toggle program mentioned in the article is a good first step. Now someone needs to get busy developing the rest of the toggles for Active-X and javascript under IE.
    -- Bob Primak --